Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Bowfisher in need of help!

I took a friend out to Pleasant yesterday to fish. I, of course, had my bow on board and the water clarity was insane! I can't remember seeing the water that clear before. The carp were absolutely everywhere and and the shooting opportunities would've been all day non-stop if bowfishing was our only objective!

I bet I shot at 50 different fish throughout the day and basically only boated 1! I'm embarrased to say it too! It was extremely frustrating because my arrows were veering as soon as they entered the water. Because of the water clarity I was usually shooting deep, so it was very noticeable my arrows were sometimes making hard turns. I tied on a brand new arrow and it veered just as bad. I then swapped from a finger tab to my release thinking that was the problem and that didn't work as well!

So, for you bowfishing guys here, what would you check next to fix the problem? I'm thinking it's gotta be the rest or my nock position but I was also curious if high poundage would cause this? I got my bow down to probably 55lbs and not sure how much lower I can go with it, being a Matthews Q2 it's not exactly the best bow for close shots at fish but the Maxxis aint goin on the boat!

Thanks for any advice! Here's the one unlucky fish that my arrow "veered" into...

TannerFish5.jpg

You have to aim low, depending on the depth and angle you are seeing them from, just under the belly to a couple inches below the belly. The water refracts the actual position. I haven't tried with a compound, used to bow fish a lot in Wy with a recurve. When the carp are spawning you can have a busy day.

I used to have that same problem with arrows veering left and right! I had to play around with my rest on my bow making sure the arrow lays straight and level and different arrows finding that the stiffer arrows (like the one in your picture) work best for me! I also shoot a compound at about 60lbs with a wrist release.

Bow fishing is a blast! I haven't been able to go for quite awhile and I like seeing post like this to feed the need. When I first started bow fishing it took me forever to get it down. One way that helped me a ton is to tied a milk jug to a brick and toss it into the lake at various depths. I went through a ton of jugs but it helped my underwater accuracy quite a bit. I tried balloons but it was a pain cleaning up the balloon pieces and I couldn't tell where I was hitting. With the jugs you can tell where you hit. Be sure to have a retriever line tied to it to get the gear back.