Hey everyone,

I just got drawn for the unit 23 non-burro whitetail tag in New Mexico. I am going to start scouting and was wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction to start finding deer. If anyone can tell me an area I could backpack into I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Connor

Hey everyone,

I just got drawn for the unit 23 non-burro whitetail tag in New Mexico. I am going to start scouting and was wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction to start finding deer. If anyone can tell me an area I could backpack into I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Connor

I have hunted North of Harden Cienega and the Brushy Mountain area in spring/fall for turkey and in January for coues. I have seen some really good deer while hunting the south rim of the Frisco during bow season. I have also heard from the guy who blades the road in the Brushy Mountain/Harden area that he has seen quite a few, including a few big bucks just past the Tilly Hall area, on the south side of some houses. There are roads in and around both areas but you can get away from them fairly easy, Tilly Hall Peak and Brushy Mountain have none. I don't know or have not heard of much about North of the Frisco, though it always looked promising from where i was camped. Hope this helps and good hunting!

I have hunted the unit in the past and have seen a few nice whitetail. Of course I had a mule deer tag at the time. We took the Brushy Mtn road all the way down until it hits private. Then hike west about a mile and you can drop down south again into the Apache Box area. That area looks awesome for coues deer. Just be sure of the property lines.