Sign in to follow this  
Guest T.J. Thrasher

35a archery

Guest T.J. Thrasher

I am a Colorado bowhunter that willl be in AZ during january and would like to find a quality cous deer. I plan to hunt 35a or possibly 35b and am intersted in learning more about these units. I don't need to know your favorate place to hunt or glass from, but if you could help me narrow my focus a bit I would appreciate any information. I also have a javolina tag for these units and wonder how much the habitat of the species overlap in these units.

Where there are javelina, there are deer weather they be mule deer or Whitetail. Javelina are much harder to glass up than deer. Good luck to you! There are very few hot spots in Arizona but everything is good.

T.J.

SEND ME AN E-MAIL AT KGAINES30@AOL.COM. I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP WITH THE JAVELINA IN 35A.

tj i know co has some big mulies but keep this in mind , 35a and b had no rifle hunts (mule deer) this year so if the coues dont work for ya you could have some fun with these smaller cousins of the rocky mtn variety and not go home empty handed... good luck i have been out huntin hard in my first year w/ a bow and it is extremelly humbling ck out biology discussion if you havent already, and see the info on coues vocals (noisy deer) very helpful

also tj bring a predator call when you have a visual on the dreaded pig group sing um a tune and get ready!!!!

Guest T.J. Thrasher

Thanks for the information. I have read about problems with illegal immigrants in some of the border units. How big of a problem is this, and what additional precautions should one take while hunting these areas?

Guest Ernesto C

T.J. I hunt the border units for several years now and I have not have a problem yet with the illegals.Do you know that sometimes you can hunt there for 2 or so years in a row and never see them?

If you happen to see a border patrol checkpoint or an agent,tell them where you are planning to camp/hunt and ask them if they can check on you every once in a while,they will be happy to help you.

Another golden rule is DO NOT HUNT ALONE,if possible take a friend and or a hunting partner,take a cullular phone if you have one and let some one know where you going to be hunting,if you have a map of the area you will be on give a copy to the border patrol agent or station.

When you are hunting,you practically must be invisible out there in order to get close to deer,so chances are you will se them first before they see you.

Several years hunting there I only see them twice and when they saw me,boy they run up hill faster then a big horn sheep.

Hope this info. is helpfull to you,may the Lord bless you. Thanks.

Ernesto C.

Guest Justin

TJ if it isnt to late to check your post's, there are alot of pigs in 35a you just have to really look throughout the canyons, mostly the small one's with thick brush. As for the illegals the past 2 years we have seen about 50 or so, they trash all the canyon bottoms. I think my brother (KGAINES) has talked to you about were to locate the pigs they are there we had a couple herds within about 2 yards of us. If all else fails while you are glassing try tossing rocks of into the thick stuff we scared alot of deer and pigs throwing rocks when we couldnt find them glassing. Thanks Justin

Guest T.J. Thrasher

Thanks for all your help. I spent 5 days hunting and saw some good deer. One was really impresive. I passed on a good little buck at 30 yards (well within my range), but they are so dang small I thought he was at 50. I then spent a day hunting pigs and got within 7 yards of one but it was too dang thick to shoot. I was finaly able to take a small coues buck on my last evening by still hunting down a ridge line. I spotted the buck and he fed slowly to about 15 yards from me. I had a hard time drawing my bow without drawing attention to myself, but after a few attempts I was able to, and made a great shot. The deer died within site. Sory I don't have any pictures available at this time. This was a good fun hunt I would recomend to any one with patiance and to any one who really wants to test their hunting skills. Also I found glassing to be a bit of a waste of time. While it was very valuble when I was actualy able to find one, I found my time was better spen hunting the terain and searching for high use areas. I was able to get close to a few deer on ridgelines that I had glassed very carefully without seeing anything. How many deer do you think you miss when you glass an area? Are you watching a hillside for a long period of time, or are you trying to check as much area as possible? Next year I will have to figure this part of the hunt out a bit better, and hopefully take a bigger buck.

thanks again,

T.J. Thrasher

T.J. congrats on your buck, any coues with a bow is a real trophy. The way I glass is to pick each hilldide or ridge apart in a grid pattern, by picking everything apart. I dont know what kind of binos you have, but I have done it with cheap bushnells for a long time and now I own a pair of docter 15x60's and man what a difference. It is much more pleasent to glass with quality bino's.