Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Ft. Huachuca WT count

Ft. Huachuca is looking for help doing some deer counts soon. Here is some info about it. Call Sheridan Stone for more info.

Amanda

Greetings Hunters,

It's that time of year again - for the annual deer & javelina survey on Ft Huachuca.

Survey will center on the weekends of 14-15 Jan and 21-22 Jan. If deer survey conditions are poor either weekend, Jan 28-29 will be alternate dates. I also attached a list for reserving a route.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN COVER 1 OR MORE ROUTES, AND WHICH ROUTES AND DATES YOU WANT TO SURVEY THEM. I'll then make arrangements to get you a map of your chosen route(s). Please pass this on to others I lack email addresses for. DON'T JUST HEAD OUT AND COUNT DEER WITHOUT PRIOR ARRANGEMENT; I DON'T WANT TO DISCOUNT YOUR EFFORTS AND SKILL JUST BECAUSE 2 PEOPLE SURVEYED THE SAME AREA THE SAME DAY OR BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH DETAILS TO UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU WENT OR WHAT YOU DID!

These route maps are a just a guide or suggested route to covering an area. The best results come from hunters' judgment of how best to cover the area designated by the route (e.g. foot or vehicle, glassing vs. moving, when to go and how much time to spend at certain vantage points, how to fit it in among football playoffs and honey-dos, etc.) in a way that you detect, identify and accurately classify the most animals. So as every year, the quality of surveys will come from your time, knowledge of the terrain, and experience with deer, all of which is greatly appreciated.

There's also a survey form to use in the field, and a sheet of methods and tips on classifying deer and javelina.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you all, with as much time afield as possible,

Sheridan

Sheridan Stone

Wildlife Biologist

Fort Huachuca Wildlife Section

520-533-7083 voice 520-533-3043 fax

US ARMY GARRISON

ATTN IMSW-HUA-PWB

3040 BUTLER RD, BLDG 22526

FT HUACHUCA, AZ 85613-7010