Sign in to follow this  
runningbird

Idea's/help

I just thought I'd ask your guy's opinion. 2 weeks ago I found three bucks running with 6-8 does. two 3 pts not counting eye guards and a small forky. they are on a large fairly open hill side with many different small washes comming down to a large VERY thick wash.

each morning the deer stay bedded down till about 8 am then get up and feed in the open for 2 hours and head down to the wash to bed. or at least I think they bed down in the wash, it is so thick that even when I'm 100 yard away and above them I can't see them.

I have not been able to stay and hunt in the afternoon because of commitments to my daughter, (horse back riding every afternoon). but now she will be back in school and I'll have the whole day.

So my question is should I sneak into the wash and try and wait? hope to get lucky that they will come to me.

should I get to their side of the hill and hide and wait?

maybe spend another day and just watch and see where they are in the afternoon.

they have been showing some signs of rutting. I've watch the two bigger buck rake bushes and make scrapes. lock horns twice, but not really chase each other off. they are following the does closely and do split the does up when it's time to bed down, (they each take 2 or three does). they have only chased does maybe three times that Iv'e seen in the last couple weeks.

anyway any idea's, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

most of all I'm having a great time and have never gotten to spend this much time with deer before.

thanks

mark

I think you definitaly have the right idea by watching there daily pattern and trying to decice where to wait for them as for waiting in the wash you don't seem quite sure if that is where they are headed or not maybe you should stick to the hillside where you know for sure they will cross your'e path good luck no matter what you choose let us know how it goes for you.

here is a picture of one of the bucks heading down to the wash at noon. well it looks like i can't figure out how to post a picture. can anyone tell me how to do this?

here is a picture of one of the bucks heading down to the wash at noon.

Did you get the pm I sent to you? I really like to see those pics.

post-861-1136752523.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get your'e pic posted had some honey do's looks like an awsome buck hope you get a shot on him.

Runningbird

I pretty much agree with CRB. about seeing the deer. I like to be able to see because then I can plan a stalk. If you cannot see you can`t plan sh_ t. If you can figure out the closest place considering the wind that you can get and still see whats going on then you will not need as much time for the stalk. I used to hunt the Ruby mountains in Neveda. The hunting is wide open high mountain country. You can make stalks amazingly close if you can see and you have tons of time. We would try to spot the animals in the morning, bed them down, then make stalks. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn`t, but one thing for sure it is always exciting! Make sure you use bears feet or silent stalkers over your boots and take your time. I think most people rush their stalks. They want things to happen way to fast. Remember the deer are living out there and they are in a relaxed mode. If it doesn`t work out you may have to back out and try again another day. Don`t force it! I hope this helps and good luck!

Rich Thompson

CRB thanks for posting the picture I know its not to great but the best I could do at the time, the buck was on his way down to the wash.

I have accually back out of the wash twice now and not disturbed the deer.

can't wait too get back up there wed. morning.

my plan is to sit about 500 yards away where I can watch them all day and see where they go in the afternoon and evening. maybe I'll get lucky and they will come to my hill. I know there is a big buck in the area and I wonder if he'll show up next week?

thanks for the help.

Runningbird,

I have witnessed almost the exact same scenario this past Friday and Saturday. My brother and I watched somes bucks chase some does about 700yds away on the side of a hill and then disappeared into a wash. We snuck over to the edge of the wash and grunted and rattled and nothing happened. Around 11:00 we headed back to get some lunch since we didn't plan on staying the whole day. Went back out that evening and those deer came out from the spot that they disappeared and went back onto the hill. On Saturday I was out with dds, and the deer came off the hill and went into the wash again. I'm thinking an ambush spot somewhere between the hill and the wash will be the best bet.

Good luck on your hunt.

well I got out wed. afternoon and all day thurs. wed aftnernoon I saw nothing. wed morn I went out and watched the hill side till about 9:00 and saw nothing so I decided to head up the mountain for a better glassing spot. just has I got up I heard rocks tumble on another hill side near me. at the same time a covey of quail flew away from the general direction I had heard the noise from. well I looked and looked and waited about 45 min but saw nothing. So I headed down into a wash so I could get to the next hill. I'm telling you it is thick down there. I'm sure you guy's now what I mean. it's one of those places where you either belly crawl or just bust thru. there are little tunnels every place that I always thought were from javalina or coyotes. anyway I'm busting thru and finaly come to a little clearing and I look ahead just as I take my last step and hear comes a coues buck in one of those little tunnels he was taking his last step at the same time as me. boy did he look rough. he was a little tiny 4x4 not counting eye gaurds. we were only 10 yards apart at the most. he just stopped and stared there was now way he was going to relax and keep going so I tried to noc and arrow but of course as soon has I did that he took off. I could not believe he was in that tunnel let alone turn around in there and head the oppisite direction. Man this guy was tiny.

anyway after that I made it to the next hill and found deer in the distance right away. I moved to them and they were comming my way also but on the other side of the wash again. and they came from quiet a long way but entered the wash near the same spot as last week. I left them alone and plan the be on that side hiding next week. I'm not looking forward to crossing that wash in the dark but it seems like the only way I'll get a chance. I do have a spot picked out.

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
I just thought I'd ask your guy's opinion. 2 weeks ago I found three bucks running with 6-8 does. two 3 pts not counting eye guards and a small forky. they are on a large fairly open hill side with many different small washes comming down to a large VERY thick wash.

each morning the deer stay bedded down till about 8 am then get up and feed in the open for 2 hours and head down to the wash to bed. or at least I think they bed down in the wash, it is so thick that even when I'm 100 yard away and above them I can't see them.

I have not been able to stay and hunt in the afternoon because of commitments to my daughter, (horse back riding every afternoon). but now she will be back in school and I'll have the whole day.

So my question is should I sneak into the wash and try and wait? hope to get lucky that they will come to me.

should I get to their side of the hill and hide and wait?

maybe spend another day and just watch and see where they are in the afternoon.

they have been showing some signs of rutting. I've watch the two bigger buck rake bushes and make scrapes. lock horns twice, but not really chase each other off. they are following the does closely and do split the does up when it's time to bed down, (they each take 2 or three does). they have only chased does maybe three times that Iv'e seen in the last couple weeks.

anyway any idea's, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

most of all I'm having a great time and have never gotten to spend this much time with deer before.

thanks

mark

I love hunting the brush. Slow and easy. Maybe you can "set up on them". Can you come down into them? Like get up higher and make your way down to them. Remember air currents go uphill during the day. Take a partner and make him push the bucks to you.. Good luck.

it is so thick in there that once they are in the brush I don't think I can get in there. But now that I have decided to hunt on their side of the canyon it may be more simple, they are on the south facing slope I have been on the north which is much more dense.

it is so thick in there that once they are in the brush I don't think I can get in there. But now that I have decided to hunt on their side of the canyon it may be more simple, they are on the south facing slope I have been on the north which is much more dense.

Maybe you can ambush them as they make the trip to the brush. Don't underestimate your "sneakiness". Many times I have been in the brush and thought that I was wasting my time - then there it is. Whitetail ( I don't need to tell you of course) will just stash and wait. I remember one time I watched dad hunting a buck in the brush. I watched as this buck moved just ahead of dad practically in pace with him ( we didn't get him). I think being on the same side is good - it keeps them from seeing you as easy and you are already closer just by being on the same side. I also think that just because they scent us doesn't mean that all is lost. I like to sometimes let them see me and then they "brush up". Then I go in after them slowly - very slowly. I will hunt one canyon all day sometimes. Again I like to go down hill into them from above. Good luck.

well I do plan to try the ambush tactic tomorrow and thurs. maybe fri. Ive watched them enough now to have a good Idea of where they go into the wash at.

I have a camera at that spot now. I will be sitting there waiting for sure on thur. so we'll see.

also I agree with your idea that sent is not always bad. it seems to me that many times it take 2 things to scare them off. like sent/movement or sent/sound, I know it's not always like this, but if they are not on high alert than this has been my experience.

well I do plan to try the ambush tactic tomorrow and thurs. maybe fri. Ive watched them enough now to have a good Idea of where they go into the wash at.

I have a camera at that spot now. I will be sitting there waiting for sure on thur. so we'll see.

also I agree with your idea that sent is not always bad. it seems to me that many times it take 2 things to scare them off. like sent/movement or sent/sound, I know it's not always like this, but if they are not on high alert than this has been my experience.

That is exactly what I mean. They will brush up if not spooked away too bad. I use the heck out of that. I once was chasing a group of bucks in the Half Moon Valley and I used the early morning air currents (down hill ) to brush them ( I walked straight to them) and then left them alone ( I let them see me leave) and then came from the other side when the wind changed later in the day. I did not get a big one but I got really close +- 50 yds. and nailed a smaller buck. It could be that it wasn't my strategy that got me close. I have to leave room for luck!

Good luck running bird. My truck is broke so I haven't been out - bummed in Douglas.