Sign in to follow this  
jdb

Homemade Trapping Gear

I am looking forward to another trapping season, and was looking through my gear. I want to try out a trappers cap this year, but did not really like the commercially available ones. Sooooooooooo rumaging through my junk pile I found a 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 exhaust reducer that fit over the pan on my MB 550 fairly well. On thing led to another thing, a couple of welds and some notches later I had a trappers cap. I screwed up and did not paint it a bright color, so there is a very good chance you might run across this laying around. Hope this helps someone else or gives you ideas.

post-4218-0-81950200-1311647974_thumb.jpg

Cool! Hope it helps to pack the dirt. I was just on the phone with a buddy of mine and I remembered that I have a old 50 gallon drum of traps that i bought off a friend of mine in Snowflake. He bought a old house west of town and when he doing the renovation on it came across the barrel. There must be 30 to 50 traps in this old beatup rusted barrel. Some of the traps have the old timers name on them along with his number. All of them need some modification, swivels on the chains, lengths, and gauging the jaws to the right opening. Even the bait/lurer box was included.

I thought I knew how to set a trap but I dont know this . :huh: Whats it do ?

It does not really help you set the trap, but it allows you to pack the dirt over the trap. I don't want it to fire unless the foot is directly on the pan otherwise they can walk all over it without setting it off. What works for me is illustrated in the pics.

post-4218-0-88507200-1311896865_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-76221800-1311896885_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-94123200-1311896901_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-08490100-1311896917_thumb.jpg