luke duke

Badger Question

Hey guys,

I have a badger scouted just gotta wait for the season.

My question is once I harvest him what do I need to do to get him ready to be tanned and eventually either mounted or made into a rug.

Just a regular ol' field dressing or is there special steps in cleaning him I need to take or do I leave him whole and get him in the cooler?

Also where should i take it just to get the hide tanned?

Thanks

-luke duke

as soon as you can put him in the freezer whole then take him to your taxidermist he can skin him the way he wants it cut

Hey guys,

I have a badger scouted just gotta wait for the season.

My question is once I harvest him what do I need to do to get him ready to be tanned and eventually either mounted or made into a rug.

Just a regular ol' field dressing or is there special steps in cleaning him I need to take or do I leave him whole and get him in the cooler?

Also where should i take it just to get the hide tanned?

Thanks

-luke duke

Luke, if you can get to a freezer fairly quickly (less than 2 hrs) just freeze him whole. Put him in a cooler w/ frozen water bottles until then. Leave him spread out in the freezer until good and cold, then you can bag before frozen solid. If it's impossible to get to a freezer that quickly you will need to skin it out, because the carcass will hold too much heat. Your best option would be to case skin since you are unsure of what exactly you want to do with him (rug, lifesize ect. ). Your taxidermist will make completely different incisions for a rug or a lifesize piece !! There is no need to "gut" him, and just makes a big mess. You can leave the feet and head in. Keep the skin cold and dry until froze or to your taxi. Again frozen water bottles are better for keeping the skin dry than loose or bag ice. Good luck and if you need some instructions for case skinning let me know. Dale