Sign in to follow this  
azstroops

Need help giving help

My father in law has an Oct. 12b west tag and we did a scouting trip last weekend for 4 days, not 1 deer and very few tracks. When we came back we were both pretty discouraged. I need to mention that he is 67 years old and cant really hike the hills like he used to. But what I was wondering is if anyone has hunted that early hunt, what to expect and any recommendations for a jump off point for an old man? Any info would be much appreciated considering this unit is new to both of us and i'd like to make it a good one for him because you dont know how many tags are left for him. Thanks everyone.

Most of the deer wont be there until right before the season.

This unit is a migration hunt. Just use your scouting trips to find likely winter feeding areas and water.

I had a migration hunt in NM 4 years ago. It was the same story No tracks, No deer and a 24 hr round trip it was very discouraging, But when the season came we saw 250 deer a day.

You guys will do fine when the season comes.

Super tough hunt for someone with mobility issues. Most of the guys I know who have had success in that unit found a track and followed it all day until they got a shot at a lone buck. Not easy hunting at all. You could try water sources and a blind especially if the weather has been dry. Good luck.

Lee

I will tell you right where to hunt with your dad. He will get his deer , I have hunted 12b alot!

Pm me or email me floors4u@commspeed.net

I will tell you right where to hunt with your dad. He will get his deer , I have hunted 12b alot!

Pm me or email me floors4u@commspeed.net

That is cool right there... ;) ... Cudos Sir Royal!

The only thig I would add is use your scouting to learn ALL the water sources... they do have to drink. ;)

Coues 'n' Sheep you are right water is everything on that first hunt. There is certain areas where the deer will always be. Migration of the Kiabab and out of Utah starts about the middle of Oct.