COOSEFAN

White Spots?

IMG_1225.jpg

Check out the white spots on the brisket of that big buck my buddy Craig killed in Dec. It was an older age class buck, and I have seen it before on another older deer so I figured it was an age thing? Is that an accurate assumption? Have you guys seen it before? How common is it? And by the way, those dang tail differences still have me perplexed! :lol: That seems to be the first thing I look for on coues deer now to see what color their tail is! In 35B I only saw 1 deer out of probably 50 deer that had a "red" tail, and it was the one we killed. All the others had variations of the salt n pepper color tails!? :blink: Crazy stuff, just adds to the mystery and allure of these little critters, any ideas about the white spots let me know, curious! JIM

I've seen eastern whitetails with these white spots referred to as pie-bald. Don't know if that is the correct spelling. Only seen these deer on tv and they usually have larger areas of the spots.

I believe this is just a natural variation of the deer. A ranger checked our kill a couple of years ago in Unit 33 and checked it for "spots." He casually called them "spotties" and explained that it was just a variation among the deer. It didn't sound like age had anything to do with it.