Sign in to follow this  
Pigman

OT - spring bear 24A

Pardon the off topic post, but I noticed 24A coming up in quite a few threads lately. I couldn't draw a coues tag last fall but I did manage to get a spring bear tag. I'm looking for any information at all - general or specific (gps coordinates would be nice j/k!). AZGF web page had no info, so I guess I'll give them a call. Right now I don't have much to go on so like I said, any info will be appeciated.

Thanks

John

Find some cactus growing pears and glass them up they love the stuff. so just find big bunches of cactus. and hope for a good pear crop. you can also use the wayne carlton bear call. I have called in two bear with that. just make it sound like somthing is tearing your arms off and they come running.

Also, bears love wild grapes, if you know of a canyon up there with grapes in it you could find bears. Where I went in aug. the bears were eating grapes, prickley pears, and those big green catterpillars.

Thanks for the info...

AZ GUIDE - bears in the pears, got it.

gmm - Do wild grapes grow at a specific elevation range?

Thanks again.

John

I have found grapes from 3500 to about 7000 feet, but mostly from 4000 to 5500 feet. I usually find them in the canyons on the north sides of mountains. If you know where there are oaks in the bottoms of canyons, chances are there will be grapes.

Where are you going to hunt?

good luck

GMM

Guest Stanley

Hey Guys:

Does the 'bears in the pears' thing work on spring bears? I was kind of assuming that it would only be effective during late summer (when the pear fruit is ripe)?

I'm curious, as I was thinking of trying for spring bear next year.

Thanks,

S.

:-)

I have never heard of bears hitting the prickly pear in the spring, only for a short period of late summer and fall.

you are right there has to be pears for bears, But they eat the heck out of them when they are there. I didnt really look at what time he said he was hunting. They will be moving at that time. I have seen alot of them crossing through open sides of ridges and along the ridge lines of long canyons. There feeding habits change and so do there movments. Bears will travle some distances in one day. so you do have a good chance that time of year to see them up and moving around during all parts of the day.so when you see one stalk to him and give the old carlton bear call a scream and be ready for some action. If you want to see the call work get his video on calling bears it is well worth it. So remember there has to be pears for the bears ha ha ha.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

OK, sounds like "pears" are out. So outside of wild grapes as was mentioned earlier, what food sources might they be keying on?

gmm - I haven't really decided yet where I will be hunting, just trying to gather as much info as possible. I'm currently leaning toward the upper part of the unit as I have a friend who knows the area, has seen some bear there, and may be able to go along. Not sure the exact area, as we haven't gotten down to details yet. After my pig hunt next month I'll need to get down to business and hit it harder.

Thanks for all of the input.

John

A likely food in 24A wil be the various agave plants seeds- especially the seed pods from century plants. Also the Manzanita berries should be starting by then and bears will gorge themselves on those when available. Otherwise keys on the various forbes as they emerge on the north slopes.

John,

In the spring I would check meadows and places with lots of grass. When they come out in the spring they love to chow on grass. Good luck!

Travis

Pigman

I thought i sent you another reply. On the bears but i dont see it on here. As i was reading what prohunt was saying i started thinking about what i had said above , and once again i was leading you in the wrong derection. I better get my head on if I am going to give advise. bear that time of year do eat alot of grass or what ever is there. they do not travel as far in the spring as they do in the summer. In the spring they dont have as much energy. so you do need to look in places were they have lots of grass to feed on. then farther down the road look for them moving to find the pears an acorns and food they will faten up on for the winter.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

Thanks Prohunt.

Arizona Guide - Will they be up moving throughout the day, or just early or late?

Thanks, and keep the info coming!

John