jamaro

Martinez SOLD US OUT!!!

This is not good.. This is the guy from SFW... The one that tried to screw us..

SANTA FE, N.M. — Gov. Susana Martinez has named a Farmington man to the State Game Commission.

The governor's office on Friday announced the appointment of Robert Espinoza Sr., who is executive director of New Mexico Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, a nonprofit wildlife conservation group.

Espinoza is a member of the Sportsmen and Landowners Coalition of New Mexico as well as the New Mexico Farm and Livestock Bureau, the New Mexico Cattle Growers Association and the New Mexico Wool Growers.

Espinoza replaces Jerry Maracchini of Rio Rancho, who was a former director of the Game and Fish Department.

This is not good.

What do you think contributed to the appointment?

Lack of voice from sportsmens opposition or loud support from others?

Maybe a little confusion and misguidance of supporters?

This is not good.

What do you think contributed to the appointment?

Lack of voice from sportsmens opposition or loud support from others?

Maybe a little confusion and misguidance of supporters?

There's no confusion but lots of missteps from Martinez and her administration. She has quickly proven that she is no friend to New Mexico sportsmen and women, and that special interests (guides and outfitters, ranchers and development types) have her ear. I voted for her and regret it every time an issue that is important to those of us who hunt and fish comes before the governor and/or the commission. Marrachini was apparently canned because one of her big donors got crosswise with him when Jerry was director and the guy was on the commission. He still has it in for Jerry and apparently is tight enough with Martinez that she abruptly removed Jerry (whom she had appointed) from the commission with no explanation.

We're in for a long three and one-half years, at the minimum.

The sportsmen of New Mexico have been getting the shaft for a long time.

I'm sorry to hear that things are getting worse. These landowners and guides are not going to quit as long as they keep getting tags and clients.

My only hope is that sportsmen from other states are paying close attention.

Similar mishandlings and management ideas are working their way in circles already.

I just wanted to be the voice for the land owners, and more specifically the ranchers. Just remember for all of us hunting is a hobby, a very serious hobby in many cases, however ranchers make their living off of the land and the damage and cost caused by wildlife far exceeds the compensation from land owner permits. Therefore as frustrated as we may get with decreasing opportunity to hunt, try to imagine if it was a decreasing opportunity at income to your household. Hope this increases perspective.

Tyler

Tyler,

Thanks for posting up your reality and view on the issue.

I have had a few conversations with people today concerning this.

From guides, to ranchers, to the common Joe.

I am curious to see who is appointed director after a while.

I just wanted to be the voice for the land owners, and more specifically the ranchers. Just remember for all of us hunting is a hobby, a very serious hobby in many cases, however ranchers make their living off of the land and the damage and cost caused by wildlife far exceeds the compensation from land owner permits. Therefore as frustrated as we may get with decreasing opportunity to hunt, try to imagine if it was a decreasing opportunity at income to your household. Hope this increases perspective.

Tyler

I am more than sympathetic to landowners. I have a small place myself and am retired from managing a large, wildlife-rich ranch here in New Mexico. However, when you look at the makeup of the commission, it's not primarily a sportsman's group. There are seven seats on the commission. They are supposed to be apportioned thusly: five seats representing sportsmen in five regions (NE, SE, SW, NW and Central, i.e. Albquerque), one seat representing "conservation" organizations and one seat representing agricultural interests (i.e., landowners). So here is how Martinez' commission stacks up:

Th Northeast Representative is Scott Bidegain, a rancher from the Tucumcari area who is a participant in the A-Plus program that distributes transferable authorizations to landowners. He in no way represents sportsmen in northeastern New Mexico.

The Northwest Representative is Robert Espinoza, Sr., of Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation which represents more guides and outfitters than sportsmen. Every time Espinoza has testified before the Commission on matters affecting landowners he has echoed the testimony of New Mexico Cattle Growers. I have never heard him support any sportsmen-endorsed positions before the Commission.

The Central Representative is Tom Arvas, an opthamologist from Albuquerque who has served on the Commission under several governors and who now rarely takes a leadership position on anything.

The Ag representative is Thomas (Dicky) Salopek, a farmer from Las Cruces who is also an avid hunter. He talks the sportsman's language, but is very conscientious about voting the interests of the agricultural community (landowners) whom he was appointed to represent.

The "Conservation Representative" is Jim McClintic, a big donor to former governor Richardson's campaign and a $9,000 donor to Martinez' campaign, who has no known ties to any organized conservation group, either as a member or a representative. He is the Chairman and in New Mexico the Chairman is responsible for making the governor's wishes on any issue known and seeing that enough other Commissioners toe the line to ensure that the governor's wishes become policy.

The Southwest Representative is Robert V. (Rob) Hoffman, a true sportsman and one who will listen to individual sportsmen as well as the clubs in the southwest.

The Southeastern Representative is William (Bill) Montoya, a retired NM DGF Director who was with the department for many years and probably understands as well as anyone the relationship between the Commission, the Department and the sportsmen. He hasn't been on the Commission long enough to know how he will come down on the thorny issues.

So, on a seven-person Commission there are only three individuals that we can count upon to even consider the interests of the average sportsman on issues that come before the commission. Commissioner Salopek is likely to labor during his term as the "swing vote" on landowner vs. sportsmen issues, but he is well aware that if he casts too many votes against the governor's wishes, he, too, will be summarily removed.

Welcome to New Mexico politics!