Sign in to follow this  
AZHuntinMom

Scent

Okay, so I'm kind of new to hunting I only started a few years ago. Just from what I've heard here and there, and read, I am almost anal about scent proofing. I figure you can never be too safe, especially since its not hard to do.

Now a while back when I first started sitting tree stands I was under the impression you should sit there all day. I said "Hey no problem I can handle that. " Well since then I've sat a few tree stands and they are in areas where the deer are more used to people. I'm in this stand the other day filming for a friend, and one of the biggest bucks of the day comes in after a doe just five minutes after some kids on a VERY noisy cart - scooter thingie go by only forty yards from the setup.. Then, after the buck leaves, my friend wants to run back to the truck and warm up.. So we go out come back in and only a few minutes later a spike comes in then after that a 2x3 comes in.. After we get out of the stand that night he tells me when he had to go to the bathroom earlier that day, and his container wasn't quite big enough, so he went on the tree or the ground under the tree - dont know.. Anyway - I would never dream of doing that.. But we saw bucks all day, even after that.... So just how important is what scent?

Guest Ernesto C

Well I think in a way you answered your ouwn question AzHuntingMom, "is an area were deer are used to people" so I think there is a high probability that if a deer smell you he wont care because "is just another human" or "one of those things smelling like a human" or at least thats my opinion.

In one area where deer are not quite familiar with people and/or they are hunted they immediately relate the human scent with a predator scent so they become very alarmed;so it is always important to whatch the wind and use some type of scent eliminator.

Heck I dont know..................it makes sense what I just typed? :ph34r: my two cents. God bless.

Ernesto C

Good topic! I have repeatedly seen bucks and does go by my game cam 30 minutes after me and my smelly hiking boots and my dog have been there. So at least where I hunt, they don't care about my smelly feet. I have given up on rubber boots. But, they have winded me while I'm in my tree stand, and they are gone fast. I have thought about leaving my smelly t-shirts around weeks before a hunt to try to get them used to my smell, but haven't tried it yet. As for peeing at my tree stand, hard to believe that wouldn't drive them away. The smell of my kids (boys, 5 and 9) bathroom drives me away!!

bowsniper

Thanks Guys,

I could kind of understand the being used to humans things. Because the does that stay there in the area most of the year seem even less bothered by the people than the bucks do. And the bucks come in from a less inhabited area. So I could get that part....

It was just the other half that puzzled me... Anyway.. Thanks

Have a great day.

AZHuntinMom

Ernesto is exactly right.

This january I spent most of my time treestandhunting 2 different locations. One location was close to a road and got a decent amount of human traffic. The other location has probably never seen a human being. In my secluded area I had several does and a small buck bust me on several occations. They smelled where I had been walking. In my area close to the road I would not even spray my boots down, and I urinated several times out of my treestand and they would come in without blow/snorting me. The difference in deer behavior was amazing!!!