Sign in to follow this  
tgaab

Javelina/Deer Hunt

This summer I invested in a bow and have been shooting several times a week zeroing my shot in! I am trying to start planning a hunt this January for over the counter deer and javelina. I have read several stories about people getting both in one day! While I know it is unlikely for this to happen I was just wondering if anyone would give me some insight on where to start scouting. It seems like the only javelina tags are in units that are mostly in city limits while units for deer are much more abundant. I have been eying 26M in North Scottsdale area near where I quail hunt as I've seen lots of javelina activity there. Is it worth my while to try to go after both or should I stick to deer and get out in the desert away from town a bit more? Any info would be much appreciated as I am new to the archery game! Thanks!

This summer I invested in a bow and have been shooting several times a week zeroing my shot in! I am trying to start planning a hunt this January for over the counter deer and javelina. I have read several stories about people getting both in one day! While I know it is unlikely for this to happen I was just wondering if anyone would give me some insight on where to start scouting. It seems like the only javelina tags are in units that are mostly in city limits while units for deer are much more abundant. I have been eying 26M in North Scottsdale area near where I quail hunt as I've seen lots of javelina activity there. Is it worth my while to try to go after both or should I stick to deer and get out in the desert away from town a bit more? Any info would be much appreciated as I am new to the archery game! Thanks!

While there are lots of units that are open for over the counter archery deer you are correct that the only units that are over the counter for javelina are urban units. What I would suggest is to pick a unit or maybe a group of units like 17a, 17b, 18b, 19a, 19b, and 20a that are all combined for the javelina draw and apply for the by application only javelina tag. If you get drawn which is very likely you can then deer hunt and javelina hunt at the same time. The application deadline to apply for spring javeliina is Oct. 11

While there are lots of units that are open for over the counter archery deer you are correct that the only units that are over the counter for javelina are urban units. What I would suggest is to pick a unit or maybe a group of units like 17a, 17b, 18b, 19a, 19b, and 20a that are all combined for the javelina draw and apply for the by application only javelina tag. If you get drawn which is very likely you can then deer hunt and javelina hunt at the same time. The application deadline to apply for spring javeliina is Oct. 11

Ahh great idea! Thanks so much for the advice! I was planning on putting in for rifle javelina... never even noticed the dates of the archery hunt! That will be perfect