Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Geese

Guest akaspecials

I saw a bunch of geese on some of the golf courses around metro Phoenix this weekend. Do they usually start flying his early? I thought most of the waterfowl action started mid November in AZ...

some geese and ducks decide they like it here and just stay. i don't know if they just stay forever or if they just stay for one season, but they find a nice place and say h e l l with canada and stick around for awhile. i watched some mallards build a nest and raise a litter o' little ones on the edge of a cement ditch a couple years ago. golf courses are a real waterfowl magnet. same for elk and deer in elk and deer country. but we don't get too many geese through here anymore. nobody raises grain like they use to for feed. when i was a kid in the gila valley we would see thousands every year. i had a blast chasin' them things. used to carry my shotgun on the tractor during Christmas vacation on the farm. Lark.

We have resident Canada geese that fly over our cabin nearly every day. They nest at Carnero and Becker lakes, for sure, and maybe elsewhere.

I shot my fill of geese when I was growing up in Yuma during the 1940s and early 1950s. Memories of having to pluck those things kept me from hunting them as an adult.

Bill Quimby

I work at Rio Salado and the 101. There are 3 flocks of geese on the golf course every morning. When they leave they go in 3 different directions. Been there for 2 months.

Guest akaspecials

I work at Rio Salado and the 101. There are 3 flocks of geese on the golf course every morning. When they leave they go in 3 different directions. Been there for 2 months.

Those are the same flocks I started seeing a week or two ago. I see them at the urban lake at Rio Salado and Dobson. I've been fishing there after work some this summer but hadn't seen them until the other day. I sure wish the Indian Res a mile north of there was open to hunt!