Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

Matt's Hunt

Hello fellow members! I apologize for my hiatus from this wonderful website. I am asking for a little starting info on a unit I have not hunted before. My 11 year old son Matthew has drawn the youth hunt and i really feel like I have let my little man down. I am a single dad of three and have recently gone back to college at G.C.U. The responsibility of added work each day has not allowed me time to scout at all. Last year Matthew drew a cow elk tag and a Muley tag with dad. He was successful on opening afternoon out of his ground blind. Two weeks later in 16A I spotted a decent buck and offered him the shot. He respectfully denied stating that he had already killed a large animal this year and that the buck was too big to take a chance at missing so he let me go after him. He watched through the 15's for two hours while I stalked to within 100 yards( I am an archer by nature) and took him. Any help to help ensure Matthew gets a shot would be truly appreciated. I will attach some photos of 2010 and our successful hunts. We work hard in the field and love to glass and hike so no area is out of our reach, in fact Matthew hiked 6 miles into a deep canyon in 36b and helped dad pack out a really nice Coues. Thank you in advance for coming together as a community of educated hunters and sharing with our family. Ken Meyers

i always see deer when i am driving to prescott from wickenburg. we see them all the time between skull valley and prescott ( i think thats in your unit). I know thats not a whole lot of help but its a start. awesome pics by the way. i like the one of him glassing at the top of that hill. Hes already learning the right way to get it done.

Thank you for the compliments! He is a glassing machine and hikes even harder! He is cursed with his father's desire to find out what might be on the other side of the next ridge lmao! We have ended up 6 miles away before realizing how far we have chased the respectable grey ghost. Most people see the tail waving goodbye but my son looks at it as an invitation to come along! He is amazing!

Thanks to all who have responded to help and we will keep you all posted on Matthew's hunt for his first buck! God Bless

I live in Bagdad and know for a fact that the storm that came through dropped 1 1/2" of rain. been dry so there isn't much water out there. get high and glass have seen a lot of 2 and 3 points especially around water. Good luck

Well boy's the lil man had an amazing time slingin lead! He came home with his tag in hand but it wasn't for lack of deer! Thank you to everyone who helped us or even introduced themselves. Matthew let 18 rounds fly over three bucks in three days and just never connected. It was hard to watch my lil paper sniper lose his composure and tear up after the buck in velvet bound over the hill. Matthew looked at me and said " My heart is beating so hard and I feel like throwing up!" Classic buck fever had gotten the best of him. He is a good spirited kid that will kill big bucks in the years to come so I'm not worried about inches just fun right now. Thank you to T.A.M. and his boys for sharing their spot with us. Thank you to Scott Muzzy, Jeff, Bo, Robert, and all your families for sharing a great time at camp and the Memories won't be forgotten. Jeff an Trevor, we will call you later this week! Big Thanks to All who PM'd me with tips!!! It's all for the kids sakes!!!