Sign in to follow this  
Corkin

Javelina Help!

:ph34r: Anybody out there willing to help in a good area to hunt. I just found out I drew the 3 month hunt but it is in the diffucult areas of New Mexico. i am a bow hunter origanilly from AZ. The best unit looks to be 22. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jake

Jake, Unit 22 is defiinately my top pick for the 3 month hunt. I have hunted that unit 3 times and all were successful. I have a buddy that also hunts unit 21A and has gotten a couple of pigs there. A lot of people think the northern hunt to be a lot tougher but I disagree. You have 3 months to hunt, very little hunting pressure, and in some units I think there is just as many porkers as the southern units. The only thing about the norther hunt is that it is more brushy so you can't do the long range glassing like the souther units. I have found most my Javelina in the bottom of creek drainages and canyons right as you get into the N.F.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your hunt.

Travis :ph34r:

Jake, there is usually quite a bit of water in this unit. There are several creek drainages that sometimes have water depending on how much snow there's been. But even in dry years there are several ponds and water tanks that I have seen Javelina use frequently.

Good Luck, Travis