kazpilot25

36B Coues Scouting

Well guys, after a terrible start to my weekend (2 flat tires Friday night while getting ready to leave), I finally made it out there early Saturday morning to check out some new areas and try to find a couple good spots. Heading out we took ruby road off the 19 and headed West into the unit. Checked out the Neuvo Corral area and saw a couple deer (1 fork, a couple doe, and a fawn). The country all around there is very thick and seems like it would be very well suited for archery. I didn't see too many spots in that area where you could get high and glass. Just a couple little hills that could work if need be.

I talked with a couple border patrol agents while I was down there and they all said they see deer everywhere all day everyday down there. Also, the BP guys told me the spots to avoid due to high illegal traffic and drug trafficking. Those areas to avoid for those interested are as follows:

South of Ruby Rd. between mile marker 5-7, South of Bear Valley Ranch Rd., and the drug traffickers always go from the border to Montaña Peak.

All and all it was a good trip, I was hoping to see some more deer and check out a couple more areas, but such is life. I forgot to take pictures as I was too worried about covering as much ground as possible and checking different areas for good glassing points and proper terrain and vegetation. Still open to some pointers as I'm not sure yet where I'll be heading come opening morning.

The grass is all grown back up and you'd hardly notice we had a huge fire to be honest. Don't look for deer first... find glassing spots!

Scooter,

That's very true. Lots of grass all over down there. You can tell the fire burned up some of the oaks but otherwise looks like it never happened. Found a couple great glassing spots and some pointers from a guide down there as to some other spots to check out.

Anybody know of the areas in the unit that become crowded come opening day?

Scooter,

Anybody know of the areas in the unit that become crowded come opening day?

North of the US/Mexico border, south of Arivica road between I-19 and Sasabee Highway. It's all busy come opening day. The hunt gets better around Monday eve or even better on Tuesday thru the end of the hunt.

I have the 1st rifle hunt in 36b ,leftover tag so at least I get to hunt . Glassings my thing but dont have time to scout . I wont hunt till the weekenders are done then I will get serious. Can anybody put me at some good glassing spots. PM me. Holding out for 100" min buck. Maybe I can help on a hunt you have up north here in exchange for info. Thank you

Thanks winmag, good to know the entire unit becomes a zoo, packed with hunters. Time to hike in a mile or 2.

Thanks winmag, good to know the entire unit becomes a zoo, packed with hunters. Time to hike in a mile or 2.

If you hike in a mile or two you probably passed 3 roads and 10 hunters who parked where you think your in the middle of no where

Try scouting north of Ruby Rd in the Atacosa's. There are some monsters in there. As far as the fire is concerned, I bow hunted in that unit in August. You can't hardly tel that there was a fire at all.

If you hike in a mile or two you probably passed 3 roads and 10 hunters who parked where you think your in the middle of no where

X2 You really don't need to do a lot of hiking in this unit to find deer. Just find the right spot. Focus on that area and let the other hunters do the hiking for you. They are always bumping deer that you will see if you are sitting and glassing them up, then put your stalk on them and finish the deal.

Good luck to VegasJeep, SndRdnk, and everyone else heading out this Friday. My hunt isn't 'til Nov. 4 so I've got to control myself until then. Good luck guys, seems like you already know where you're going based on the pictures I saw from you guys. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck to VegasJeep, SndRdnk, and everyone else heading out this Friday. My hunt isn't 'til Nov. 4 so I've got to control myself until then. Good luck guys, seems like you already know where you're going based on the pictures I saw from you guys. Let us know how it goes.

Well no rack for me this season... Couldn't stay out till Tuesday so, a 2 day hunt is all I could do....VegasJeep is still out there

Well no rack for me this season... Couldn't stay out till Tuesday so, a 2 day hunt is all I could do....VegasJeep is still out there

Bummer SndRdnk. Did you guys see any bucks at all? Was it pretty crowded down there?

Bummer SndRdnk. Did you guys see any bucks at all? Was it pretty crowded down there?

VegasJeep just text me and said he saw 13 bucks in our secret honey hole... Perfect shots for me but nothin yet for him...

On the roads it was crowded... Guys were just sittin on the back of tailgates waitin for a shot...

Wasn't crowded where we went hunting but we hiked and crossed a few hills...

13 Bucks, Wow, that's awesome. Good 'ole road hunters, they crack me up. I hope they don't come interfere with my couple spots I'm planning on trying out. Hopefully VegasJeep finds the trophy he's after.

Great pics! Hopefully we start seeing some bucks coming out of 36B this year.