Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

A little help in 5A

I got a call to help a guy in 5a tomorrow for a cow hunt. I haven't spent much time up there looking for critters. I'll be close to FR141. I normally don't ask for info, but this was a last minute deal. If you do have info you'd like to share, please PM me.

Can you glass much there? I'd feel pretty bad if I couldn't find one cow, just wondering what to expect.

I haven't been in there but have been across the highway in 6a. They were bugling pretty hard last week. Find/follow the bugles and try the edges of any steep draws and canyons. Across the hwy is all pine/oak - assumming it's the same terrain on ur side. They were answering cow calls and bugles but wouldn't come in. We ended up taking ours on a tank from a blind in the last 30 mins of light.

It's been several years since I've hunted that area. There is a large, old burn area along FR300, east of FR95 (Fred Haught Ridge). It is 1/4 - 1/2 mile of open burn between FR300 and the Rim edge, for a couple miles. It used to be, if you were the first one in the morning to drive that stretch of FR300 you'd see a lot of elk, and some deer. Eventially, they bail off into the canyons on the north side of the road. This location is about 10 miles from FR141/300 junction. I think you have the same scenario if you go west from FR300/141....large open burn area along the Rim. I don't recall how far it is. Gotta be the first one there though.