Sign in to follow this  
coues addict

OTC Tags

Well , I guess I posted my Question in the wrong section. I wanted to know if any of You New Mexico hunters knew if the hunting in the not so prime areas is any good? I have always wanted to try my luck in New Mexico and if I`m not drawn for a draw hunt does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks Coues Addict

OTC coues in NM are all over the map so to speak. But the best unit from my understanding is 23. I have never hunted this unit myself but it's suppose to be the best. Concentrate south or north of mule creek and also north of virden. Other places include the Gila Wilderness and southern Blanck Range where the deer will be in pockets. Finding them can be tough but once you do, you'll have the place to yourself. The animas mountains in unit 26 have lots of Coues, but most of the land is private making access extremely difficult. There is also Coues in the Little and Big Hatchets in 26 but again, access is pretty difficult. I personally have been hunting unit 22 the last 3 years, still trying to get my first Coues. I've had my oppurtunities, just couldn't get my gun to quit shaking if you know what I mean. :ph34r: This unit has quite a few deer but most of the terrain is pretty brushy, making glassing difficult. However there is some spots to glass and I will usually net seeing at least 3-5 deer a day. I don't know if that's much by Arizona's standards, but in my experience on OTC tag in NM, that's pretty good. Anyway, there are Coues out there on OTC hunts but it usually takes a lot of scouting to find them.

Good Luck, Travis

5yearcoueshunter , Thanks for the info about New Mexico , I really appreciate it . I have made up my mind to go in 04 if I get drawn or not . I really thought more people would have responded to this question but maybe everybody is working really hard to find their own good spots. I totally uinderstand. I hope you tie into a big one on your next coues hunt . Thanks again Coues Addict.

Coues Addict,

I too will hunt in NM next year. I will hunt in unit 23. I grew up in the White Mts. of AZ, so I know this area a little. If you would like, send me an e-mail at drc@drchoate.com.

Edited by dds