Sign in to follow this  
cardawg

unit 8

Well just got back from 2 more days in unit 8 trying to to fill my tag,but still no luck.I got to get back to work,so thats it for this this year.It might sound crazy,but I'm putting in for this same hunt unit next year.This was my first try at hunting Coues and here are some of the things I learned this year.

1.If it seems like a easy hike hike going in,you can bet it will be hard coming out

2.I carry way to much in my Backpack,most of which I never used

3.Never go cheap on anything you buy,I bought a cheap plastic water bottle and it split down the side

4.Make sure your in shape,I thought I was until I started climing out of those canyons

5.You can never scout your area to much

6.Try out any new equiptment,before you take it out with you on your hunt

I will be back up there come Bow season,learning more about the unit and hopefully getting a chance at one.The best thing about this years hunt was ,I got some of the best sleep I've had in years,after a long day hiking those canyons,back to camp for a hot meal,the cold night air,I slept like a baby every night

Give yourself a treat and go hunt a southern unit after the beating 8 gives you and get to sift few a few bucks. A majority of people usually make that unit a 1 time experience :} Have fun on the bow hunt, be aware the snow may make a lot of the unit inaccessable.

I use old gatorade bottles. i always take more than I need because you never know when you'll need that extra reserve especially if you get a huge one or got hurt.

Yes we were in that area,but their were alot of other hunters there as well,I think they had ELK Tags,WE Didnt want to crowd them,so we werent there very long.Thanks for the help.