Sign in to follow this  
Pine Donkey

Late Novenber Coues

Here is the buck I took on Sunday evening. My son Garrett glassed him up, high on the mountain. We debated how big he was, but could not agree on what we were seeing so decided to get a closer look. After a long hike I was a bit disapointed that he was broken, but decided to take him anyway. He was shot at 375 yards right at dark. Garrett used the gutless method to quickly prepare him for the pack out. We were quite a ways up in pretty rough, steep, rocky, cat claw country, and there was no moon. My buddy Mark (MJE1) drove out, parked much closer, and hiked in to help us out. This reduced our pack by a long ways.

The body on this deer was larger than any couse I have seen before. After cleaning and butchering we ended up with over 60 pounds of boneless meat. His head is also very large. He appears to be an old buck that is regressing. I wonder what could have broken his main beam this early in the season. It appears to be a fairly recent break as it is still rough.

post-2989-0-18975600-1322623999_thumb.jpg

post-2989-0-74682800-1322624160_thumb.jpg

CONGRATS on that deer! Very nice looking and very unique with that main beam break! looks like you had alot of fun (like hunting should be) 60lbs of meat is alot i bet those backstraps tasted so good! again Congrats!