Sign in to follow this  
NexToLast

Rut timing at higher elevations (7000-8500ft)

This year for the first time I decided to hunt Coues in the hight country. Due to a busy work schedule I could only hunt this past week (January 18th-24th). I thought the timing would be perfect for the rut, since having hunted the desert and mid-elevation areas for many years. However as I checked out the likely spots to place a treestand it became evident that all the rubs and scrapes that I came across had not been visisted for at least a week or two. Deer numbers in this area are not extremely high, but with snow falling daily I was seeing some fresh tracks. However there wasn't any visible activity on any rub or scrape lines. This area is way to thick to do any glassing (predominately Fir, Ponderosa, and some PJ's/oak on the south slopes), one thing I really miss doing and makes me feel almost out of place.

My questions to anyone with Coues hunting at such elevations is: do you think the rut has come and passed or had the deer just moved lower in elevation? The physical signs of the rut (rubs/scrapes) were evident, but do you think that the bucks in this area just made a few pre-rut rubs and then vacated?

Any Help or insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

I was out last monday and I got a picture of a monster coues buck That would go into the books for sure. when I say in the books I mean In the top few. I am from Mesa and do most of my hunting and guiding for coues deer down southeast of tucson and i understand down there they are still in rut activity. Anyway back to the big buck. I consider the spot i saw him in being northern country somewhat. He was walking down a canyon and was by him self. I was in street clothes on my way to do a bid on a job. I left my wife and kids in the truck and went of down the hill to try to get a picture. he came within 5 feet of me the whole time i watched him come he was testing the air and smelling the ground he was showing sighns of some rut to me. All though his neck did not look to be very swollen and that could be part that i have not seen a couse with hornes of that size ever. He showed sighns of trying to locate some does. I got to show the picture to one of our coues hunting members this week. If i get my scanner and stuff working soon you will all see him.

Last Sat - the 17th, I watched from a tree stand at 7000' a healthy big bodied 4 point (including eye guards), scent trailing a lone doe.

On the 19th from the same stand, A doe, fawn and spiker came in to close range. She peed, he checked it out, but he wasn't making a neusance of himself as young bucks do when they are turned on. What's this mean? Beats me. Don't know enough about it yet. My guess is that the breeding activity is winding down.

The higher country has fewer deer and this makes it harder to read. The country I was hunting had a lot of tracks in the snow - very encouraging - but the deer weren't rootin up my tree by walking around it.

Sure is fun though!

Mike

Guest Ernesto C

Mike maybe the doe was not ready for copulation any more or the spike is not ready for that yet. Who knows??

Ernesto C.

Could be. My guess is that she was done or a bigger buck would be tending her. I have seen spikes chasing does all over the hillsides - in December. I'm thinking that the main rut/estrus cycles have just recently occured and that there will be some other does running a late cycle - demonstrated by the big bodied buck scent trailing the doe.

Could be a lot of additional 'buck crazyness' right now 'cause of the recent sex fest, and now the current lack of receptive does.

Again, I'm guessing 'cause I ain't been out for a week and I can't go again. Plus... I read too much.

Mike

I guess it all boils down to one thing and that's to spend more time afield, which is easier said than done. You can bet that i'll be in my treestand on opening day December 2004.

As little as whitetail move throughout thier life and daily routines I still think the rut was over in this particular area. If in fact they are still rutting in this area, they must have moved and the only place I belive they could have gone is down in elevation; out of the snow.

It's definately something that going to nag at me until I get it figured out. The quality of the deer, not the quanity of deer is what draws me to this area. Anyways I still learned a lot in the short time I had available to hunt. Thanks for your replies!

AZGuide, let's see those pictures!!

Thanks,

Jeff

I will try to get it done in the next couple of days maybe i can email them to you if you have an email. I got it with my digital cam and put them on my computer and tuched them up a bit the light in the pic was not the best so I brightend them up. I wish i would have known about the record on my cam it would have been a short but awsome video.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE