Sign in to follow this  

blackpowder on an airliner

my son wants to go back to nebrasky for the muzzleloader hunt but wants to fly. anybody know if you can take blackpowder or pyrodex or caps on a commercial airliner? sounds to me like no, but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. Lark.

Lark I researched this 2 years ago and again in August of this year. The regulations are pretty clear since loose powder is considered explosive. Although they don't address Pyrodex or Blackhorn 209 or other black powder substitutes specifically I was told it is not legal. Also caps and or primers are out. I had a friend in Colorado buy powder and primers for me. At the end of the season I leave them at his home. It is a minor pain but I don't need to sweat the Federal regs. when I fly. It does seem odd that the regs allow loaded ammunition in a locked gun case or in luggage if declared. I also asked Southwest Airlines about plastic tubes of premeasured charges of black powder substitute in my locked gun case. They said this would considered to be "explosives".

Go Figger.

my son wants to go back to nebrasky for the muzzleloader hunt but wants to fly. anybody know if you can take blackpowder or pyrodex or caps on a commercial airliner? sounds to me like no, but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. Lark.

AZmetalman is correct. There is no legal way your son can legally fly with blackpowder, any of the substitutes or percussion caps. In years past, guys used to reload a couple of boxes of shotgun shells with blackpowder and caps, but it didn't take long for it to reach the security guards. Tell him to arrange to have someone in Nebraska buy what he needs and have it waiting for him. It's not worth the risk of a felony conviction.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1