Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Welker

High Quality Brass

17 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of brass do you prefer for reloading?

• Federal
    • Hornady
    • Norma
    • Nosler
    • Remington
    • Weatherby
    • Winchester

I'm getting back into serious big game hunting after many years away while I was focused on competitive rifle shooting. In the competitive disciplines, Lapua was/is considered the very best brass commercially available. Accordingly, I've become addicted to Lapua over time. While Lapua makes brass in many popular hunting cartridges/calibers, they don't cover everything. For example, they don't make brass for a 338 Winchester or 264 Winchester - two rifles I'm seriously considering.

Besides Lapua, what brass would you rate as high quality for reloading and accuracy?

I've been leaning towards Norma brass; however, I wanted to hear from others who've been reloading. It is my experience that high quality brass makes a difference in accuracy. Because of my competitive background, I want the most accurate hunting rifle(s) I can muster. You input and comments are sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Go Norma. I shoot lapua but Norma would be my second choice. If not Norma .......nosler

I have heard it can be soft tho depending on the batch, so watch for split necks. But that occurred after brass were on their 3rd or so reload. Never shot either Norma or nosler, just repeating what research I have done.

Never had much success with Winchester brass. Lot to lot variences, cases to case variences. Several get culled out per package.

Federal is OK. Seems to be thicker than most.

The last few years, Remington has been producing some very consistent case to case and lot to lot brass. It has been holding up well as well. I also end up with at least 2 extra cases in evey bag of Remington cases I buy.

Hornady brass has been decent.

Nosler makes consistent brass, but they seem to be too soft and the longevity sucks.

I dont know about recent years but 10 years ago I hated Weatherby brass. Way to expensive for the consistency of it.

Cant vouch for Norma. Just what I have heard. Would not be afraid to try it.