COOSEFAN

460 XVR or the Model 500 S&W

I have been kickin' around the idea of buying one of these monsters to hunt Moose and Caribou this Sept. I know they are plenty big enough for either of these animals but was curious which one I should go with. I have wanted the 500 for a while but just found out about the 460 XVR today and don't know much about it other than you can shoot the .460, .454 Casull, and the .45 Colt out of it. I like that versatility but the brute force of the 500 looks awesome. I would like to know what scope would be best to handle the recoil of one of these pigs and who you would reccommend to buy/inquire from? I was at the Warehouse today and held both guns that are in the pic's and that 460 XVR is BAD!!! They had a sorry selection of scopes and not that informative on putting scopes on these BIG guns. Any info or insight would be appreciated, Thanks JIM

460XVRCompensatedHunter.jpg

Model500.jpg

Coosefan, I have the 460. I haven't put a scope on it yet. The factory Hornady ammo will kill anything you go after. Smith and Wesson has a forum, smith-wessonforum.com. You'll find lots of info about putting a scope on 460's or 500's. Sportsman's warehouse has the standard 460 for $899 I believe. Good luck with your decision.

DUG

Jim, Spend a nickle and call Gary Reeder in Flagstaff. He has shot hundreds on big game animals with handguns. His insite on what you need for what you want to hunt would be priceless. He builds several handguns to fill your needs. He can tell you what calibers work best.

Rick

Gary's phone numbers:

928-527-4100

928-526-3313

I own 6 of his handguns and they shoot very well. I also have 5 of his TC barrels.

Thanks Rick, I wrote it down. Is he a dealer that I could buy from as well? JIM

Jim,

I went to Garys shop today and talked to him about the guns you were thinking about. He said to give him a call. He had alot to say. Thats the good news. The bad is he was leaving today to hunt Africa again. He won't be back until April 9th. If you want to talk to me give me a call. I've shot a few big game animals with a pistol and I have alot of experience with the larger calibers. Depending on your needs and recoil tolerance the caliber and handgun type can be very important.

Rick

Jim,

I forgot to say yes he has a gun shop and a custom shop. Check out his website. www.reedercustomguns.com Ther is alot of info on handgun cartridges.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I am waiting on a call from my bro, he has a buddy that owns a gun shop here in town and is getting me some prices. I figured that could get me somewhere to start in deciding as well. I know they are expensive and can see how you could get well over a $1,000.00 invested in one, so I need to be carefull in deciding what I can/should do. I really think we are going to end up taking our bows, but I could pack a "Git-R-Done" handgun in my pack as a back-up just in case. That way we're not hauling in rifles but still have a gun that will do the job. I still have your number and will call you soon. Thanks again, JIM

The 500 also comes in a shorter barreled version. Might just be the ticket to haul around together with your bow. My advice would be to find a used one. Ammo isn't cheap and the recoil is intolerable for some. That means the used market can find you one on less pennies.

We have a 500 long barrel and it is fun to shoot. The Cor Bon ammo is stout but not excessive if you shoot a lot. I have small hands so the hogleg is too big for me but is fun to play with. Open sighted it is surprisingly accurate. I can only imagine what it would shoot like with a scope.

Let us know what you end up doing.

They are raffleing one of those off at the ADA banquet on Saturday. If I win it, I'll let you take it to Alaska. I'll just need a steak or two in return!

:lol:

That would be awesome DesertBull! I HAD the money to buy one of these guns, but at the AES banquet I spent it on a Montana Antelope hunt. I am broke now! I plan on taking my bow to Alaska, and a big, long range handgun as well. That way in case the end of the hunt is near and the bow aint working I can pull the gun out. So borrowing one might be the only way I can accomplish that. Thanks for the offer, I hope you win it! JIM

Gentleman sitting beside me at the banquet won the 460 at the ADA banquet.

Lucky dog. :P