Sign in to follow this  
jamaro

Hunting Africa - Any Takers

I just saw the IMAX 3-D movie "African Safari" at the Smithsonian in D.C. Very cool... made me want to go bad. I was surprised how much South Africa looks like Ash Fork. Except instead of speedgoats there are rhinos and elephants.

I just saw the  IMAX 3-D movie "African Safari" at the Smithsonian in D.C. Very cool... made me want to go bad. I was surprised how much South Africa looks like Ash Fork. Except instead of speedgoats there are rhinos and elephants.

Guys, South Africa is a lot like Arizona. It has all types of terrain and vegetation ranging from sea level to high mountains (although not as high as ours). Some places around Kimberley remind me of Marana. Cape Town looks like San Diego. Johannesburg could be St. Louis or Atlanta.

It also large modern cities with skyscrapers, excellent roads, water you can drink out of any tap without worrying, great hospitals, libraries and universities, huge shopping malls and plush resorts -- and 3-meter gameproof fences around everywhere you will hunt. Namibia is a bit more "wild," but most of the packaged hunts offered there also will be conducted behind wire.

To see the Africa of your dreams in southern Africa you must go to the third-world countries. The most primitive are those that have had their "independence" the longest. In the seminars I've moderated at SCI conventions for first-time safari hunters I tell everyone to hunt South Africa for its unique species (there are many) before going elsewhere.

That's because people who have hunted in Botswana, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe first usually are disappointed when they get around to hunting those unique species on South African game farms.

Don't get me wrong. Hunting is South Africa is not like hunting on a Texas game ranch. For one thing, most of the animals are indigenous and some of the farms are truly huge. It's just not what you've seen in Out of Africa or a PBS documentary.

Beware, though. It's true what they say about no one hunting in Africa just once.

BillQ

Bill, i dont know about the rest of the gang, but i really like having you around. you have a story for everything, and have experienced everything! heck, im sure you have done and seen things half of us couldnt even dream of! shooting a african lion? are you kidding? heck no! get me as far away as you can from that thing and arm me with a .50 cal machine gun when i have to be within 100 yards!

Bill, i dont know about the rest of the gang, but i really like having you around. you have a story for everything, and have experienced everything! heck, im sure you have done and seen things half of us couldnt even dream of! shooting a african lion? are you kidding? heck no! get me as far away as you can from that thing and arm me with a .50 cal machine gun when i have to be within 100 yards!

Thank you, Casey.

I'm an old codger who has lived my entire life in Arizona, and I have been fortunate to do a bit of traveling and lots of hunting on six continents because of my occupation as an outdoor writer/editor/publisher.

I envy you young guys because you have an entire lifetime ahead to chase your dreams. Hang around as long as I have and you'll rack up a few interesting experiences, too.

At age 70, it's all downhill for me.

BillQ