Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

Today

I spent from 5:30 this morning until 3:30 this afternoon in pursuit of antlers. . . . to no avail, I didn't find squat!

What I did see was totally cool though!

As I glassed across two very large canyons I spotted a group of 8 bulls. . . all wearing antlers still, none of them over 2x2 though. . . . there were two cows (or large bulls that had dropped already) with them. they were half mile off and me with 8x40's ha ha ha.

I saw them cutting down a trail that leads to a large tank in the bottom of another large canyon . . . . I hit the gas and booked it over two canyons into the water hole in hopes to cut them off and get up close. It worked, I sat under a tree about ten yards from the water. . . and in about ten minutes they showed up!

They came running out and started sparring not 20 yards from me, All of them were ugly young bulls and aliens. Those antlers are on there pretty tight, they were throwing their weight around a bit.

It was the coolest thing ever! These guys hung around for about five minutes and then one of them came within 5 feet from me and must have smelled me (no scent killer on today) was in full camo though, he never saw me. They spooked a bit and trotted off up the canyon wall.

That was very up close and personal for me, and the coolest thing I'd ever seen as far as that goes. I was stoked, I managed to shoot about 3 pictures from my camera phone, but the sun washed them out and all you can see is shadows under their legs! UGH! :P

I also found the only shed I've ever set back down, it was friggin old and rotted almost out! Couldn't tell if it was a whitey or muley. . . saw three muley does. . .

I saw about two dozen elk and two coues does that got scared off by another shed hunter packin a large revolver. . . he came into the tank about ten minutes after the elk ran off and fired some shots into the water. . . . I almost lit up my AR-15 and decided not to scare the man too badly, so I kept the safety on. . . . 120 rounds just aching to be unleashed ;) I hiked my old crippled arse off today!

Anyway that was my day in the field. . . . what a grand day it was. . . . B)

same deal for me, walked miles miles today and only came up with glassing up muleys and pronghorns...I was able to find sheds in this area before but none of the new stuff are droppin in the area, probably too low, will try out higher country...mixed juniper/pine

I spent from 5:30 this morning until 3:30 this afternoon in pursuit of antlers. . . .  to no avail, I didn't find squat!

What I did see was totally cool though!

As I glassed across two very large canyons I spotted a group of 8 bulls. . .  all wearing antlers still, none of them over 2x2 though. . . . there were two cows (or large bulls that had dropped already) with them. they were half mile off and me with 8x40's ha ha ha.

I saw them cutting down a trail that leads to a large tank in the bottom of another large canyon . . . . I hit the gas and booked it over two canyons into the water hole in hopes to cut them off and get up close. It worked, I sat under a tree about ten yards from the water. . .  and in about ten minutes they showed up!

They came running out and started sparring not 20 yards from me,  All of them were ugly young bulls and aliens. Those antlers are on there pretty tight, they were throwing their weight around a bit.

It was the coolest thing ever! These guys hung around for about five minutes and then one of them came within 5 feet from me and must have smelled me (no scent killer on today) was in full camo though, he never saw me. They spooked a bit and trotted off up the canyon wall.

That was very up close and personal for me, and the coolest thing I'd ever seen as far as that goes. I was stoked, I managed to shoot about 3 pictures from my camera phone, but the sun washed them out and all you can see is shadows under their legs! UGH!  :P

I also found the only shed I've ever set back down, it was friggin old and rotted almost out! Couldn't tell if it was a whitey or muley. . . saw three muley does. . .

I saw about two dozen elk and two coues does that got scared off by another shed hunter packin a large revolver. . .  he came into the tank about ten minutes after the elk ran off and fired some shots into the water. . . . I almost lit up my AR-15 and decided not to scare the man too badly, so I kept the safety on. . . . 120 rounds just aching to be unleashed  ;) I hiked my old crippled arse off today!

Anyway that was my day in the field. . . . what a grand day it was. . . .  B)

Right on guys that is too cool. Why would someone waste ammo just by shooting the water. Maybe he was practicing on a big target? I get more satisfaction out of seeing if I can hit a pop can at 25 yards not a dang water hole. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Right on guys that is too cool.  Why would someone waste ammo just by shooting the water.  Maybe he was practicing on a big target?  I get more satisfaction out of seeing if I can hit a pop can at 25 yards not a dang water hole.  Oh well, to each his own I guess.

LOL . . . hopefully he doesn't come to this website ! !! ! ! LOL! ! !