Sign in to follow this  
javihammer

Conservation License Plate = Lost Hunt Opportunity

TAKE OFF YOUR CONSERVATION LICENSE PLATE – TELL YOUR FRIENDS

THE AZSFWC - The AZSFWC derives revenue from the sharp looking "conservation" license plates (the one with all of the Arizona animals on it). The AZSFWC uses the proceeds from the plates to fund the critter groups (like the ADA) for conservation projects through grants. Most of the critter group recipients of the grant money are "members" of the AZSFWC because "members" are given priority for the grant money distribution. The AZSFWC has a "Habitat Commitee" that makes the decision about who gets the money. It should be no surprise that some of the grant "projects" partner with the SFW, and both share public credit for them. One of the conditions for the AZSFWC grant money is for the orgs that receive the money to recognize the AZSFWC for their contributions publicly. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the critter groups that are getting these grants are the same ones making every excuse in the world to maintain a relationship with the AZSFWC. The ADA got far more grant dollars than anyone else last year. Most of the projects are good and legit, the problem is the entity making the decisions and how it is used to leverage support for legislation from legitimate critter groups. The AZSFWC actually gets a "rebate" from the critter groups because the AZSFWC expects their critter group members to donate back to their legislative arm which is the AZSFW. What would happen if all of the members of the AZSFWC were to renounce their membership? Would the state of Arizona still allow the AZSFWC to pimp the license plates? Would another more legit group be able to assume control of this revenue stream?

THE AZSFW - The AZSFWC loads the chamber and the AZSFW pulls the trigger. The AZSFW is funded by the same critter groups the AZSFWC gives the grants to, the AZSFW even shares the same mailing address as the AZSFWC. The critter groups derive a significant amount of their money from the legit big money state auction tags, they in turn send some of their proceeds to help fund the AZSFW (kind of a reciprocal thing since the AZSFWC "considers" them for project grants). When the AZSFW is well funded, it can afford to pay the shady lobbyists and legislators to provide influence. Bad legislators (like Wiers) turn their back on the public’s interest and support things that hurt the public (like HB 2072). Super PAC status allows the AZSFW much more freedom to payoff candidates (like Weirs). In order to qualify as a Super PAC the AZSFW need 500 "qualified" individuals to provide non-tax deductible donations of at least $10.00 a piece. I doubt there are 500 "qualified" individuals in Arizona that would pay $10.00 to fund an organization that is out to steal from them (even if it meant they could win a $300 Weatherby Vanguard rifle).

Pretty slick really, the AZSFW has built a machine in Arizona where residents actually fund their own flogging (turn license plates into dollars to buy influence to get tags to turn into more dollars to benefit a small group of people in the outdoor industry and their SFW parent = less hunt opportunity for Average Joe’s in Arizona and beyond).

Once again, ditch the conservation plate if you like to hunt, leave it on if you want to LOOK like a hunter.

Ryan

TAKE OFF YOUR CONSERVATION LICENSE PLATE – TELL YOUR FRIENDS

THE AZSFWC - The AZSFWC derives revenue from the sharp looking "conservation" license plates (the one with all of the Arizona animals on it). The AZSFWC uses the proceeds from the plates to fund the critter groups (like the ADA) for conservation projects through grants. Most of the critter group recipients of the grant money are "members" of the AZSFWC because "members" are given priority for the grant money distribution. The AZSFWC has a "Habitat Commitee" that makes the decision about who gets the money. It should be no surprise that some of the grant "projects" partner with the SFW, and both share public credit for them. One of the conditions for the AZSFWC grant money is for the orgs that receive the money to recognize the AZSFWC for their contributions publicly. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the critter groups that are getting these grants are the same ones making every excuse in the world to maintain a relationship with the AZSFWC. The ADA got far more grant dollars than anyone else last year. Most of the projects are good and legit, the problem is the entity making the decisions and how it is used to leverage support for legislation from legitimate critter groups. The AZSFWC actually gets a "rebate" from the critter groups because the AZSFWC expects their critter group members to donate back to their legislative arm which is the AZSFW. What would happen if all of the members of the AZSFWC were to renounce their membership? Would the state of Arizona still allow the AZSFWC to pimp the license plates? Would another more legit group be able to assume control of this revenue stream?

THE AZSFW - The AZSFWC loads the chamber and the AZSFW pulls the trigger. The AZSFW is funded by the same critter groups the AZSFWC gives the grants to, the AZSFW even shares the same mailing address as the AZSFWC. The critter groups derive a significant amount of their money from the legit big money state auction tags, they in turn send some of their proceeds to help fund the AZSFW (kind of a reciprocal thing since the AZSFWC "considers" them for project grants). When the AZSFW is well funded, it can afford to pay the shady lobbyists and legislators to provide influence. Bad legislators (like Wiers) turn their back on the public’s interest and support things that hurt the public (like HB 2072). Super PAC status allows the AZSFW much more freedom to payoff candidates (like Weirs). In order to qualify as a Super PAC the AZSFW need 500 "qualified" individuals to provide non-tax deductible donations of at least $10.00 a piece. I doubt there are 500 "qualified" individuals in Arizona that would pay $10.00 to fund an organization that is out to steal from them (even if it meant they could win a $300 Weatherby Vanguard rifle).

Pretty slick really, the AZSFW has built a machine in Arizona where residents actually fund their own flogging (turn license plates into dollars to buy influence to get tags to turn into more dollars to benefit a small group of people in the outdoor industry and their SFW parent = less hunt opportunity for Average Joe’s in Arizona and beyond).

Once again, ditch the conservation plate if you like to hunt, leave it on if you want to LOOK like a hunter.

Ryan

Ryan,

I will emphatically state that your assessment is wrong. I have one of the earliest conservation plates WA00006. This is a WCC plate. The WCC mergered with AZSFWC several years ago. If the WCC had not taken this action, there would be no conservation organization that can do the conservation work needed. The WCC was in trouble due to a lack of involvement of the sportsmen in Arizona. This is our fault. The WCC saw an opportunity to rescue the conservation effort.

Did the WCC make the right decision? In hindsight, probably not. However,it was really their only option.

Only a very small percentage of funds generated by the plates can be used for lobbying purposes. 90% must go to wildlife conservation efforts. If you value wildlife buy a plate.

George

Well 10% lost is still too much. I don't need no stinkin lobbyist (a very dishonorable occupation that corrupts more than helps) I dont need to pay anybody to speak for me.

Why do hunters have to sleep with the snake to keep the sport going?

I REPEAT – THAT CONSERVATION PLATE ON YOUR TRUCK NEEDS TO GO

This afternoon I got the AZSFWC “Newsletter” that Desertbull posted on the ADA thread. It came to me directly, so SURPRISE, I guess I am a member of the AZSFW (dry heaves, puking, painful acceptance). I have no idea how I became a member, probably came as membership to something else. I was an ADA member at one time, maybe my AZSFW membership was packaged with it. The funny part was that although the body of the email said AZSFWC, the sender was two email addresses, one from suzane gilstrap at AZSFW and the other was suzane gilstrap at AZSFWC. Even she cannot keep up with all the costume changes, these people are like a Las Vegas magic show. I wonder if they take suggestions, maybe they could be Winnie the Poo tomorrow. ..I bet they would if it meant another auction tag for one of their jackwads.

Anyway, the timing of their little propaganda piece was interesting, maybe coincidence….who the heck knows. It is kind of funny that within 24 hours of telling people to not buy the conservation plate, I get a solicitation to buy one myself. Maybe we should buy Suzanne Gilstrap lunch since her Barney Fife bobbles seem to be helping the cause of the Anti-AZSFW more than anything else.

George, you seem like part of the white hat club. I look forward to meeting with you next week. I hope it is becoming clearer that the AZSFWC needs some leadership changes at the highest levels or this crap will continue. They are potentially more dangerous than the AZSFW with the current leadership they have, I wouldn’t touch them (or advertise their plate on my truck) until all the vermin is purged from their organization. I understand critter groups need money, but $112,000 in grant money spread over all of their critter groups isn’t worth making a deal with the tag stealing devil. The regular members of the critter groups should be clarifying that point with their leadership; I would say they even have an obligation to their fellow hunters to do so.

Thom C, there are a whole bunch of us that agree with you, hunters shouldn’t have to carouse with snakes to keep on hunting. That is why several of us have been on a crusade against the AZSFW for the last month. You should join us at the ADA meeting next Tuesday. One of the most decent guys I know is a member of the ADA, he has even been part of some of the AZSFWC funded ADA projects. I love the guy but wish he would look elsewhere to fund his projects.

One more thing. I am not a lobbyist. I do not work in the outdoor industry, there is nothing in this for me other than the peace I feel for doing the best I can. I am a happily married father of three minor children and I want them to enjoy hunting as I have. The arrogance of the SFW, AZSFW, AZSFWC, Wiers, Denham, and the Gilstrap’s about the HB 2072 tag theft fuels my personal crusade against them. I have to admit, the first arrogant Weirs memo about HB 2072 is what really pushed me over the edge. I am committed to preventing tag thefts and realize this is a process that will not end next Tuesday, it is something I am prepared to fight for a looooong time if needed. People that steal from my kids (and Average Joes) really piss me off.

Ryan

• Like 1