aintnopilgrim

The AZ One Shot Challenge

see, this is why it takes me so many shots to harvest my game, you all dont understand how i work.

1st shot warning shot, get the buck excited, let him know im there

2nd shot, gets the running

3rd shot, stops them from running

4th shot, usually, if i havent hit yet, i hit with this one. this one is usually a pretty good shot, but that doesnt stop me

5th shot, if not deceased, they are a good 400-500 yards away, this is another warning shot

6th shot, this one is the doozy, this one finishes them off

7th shot, security shot, just to be sure

8th shot, i think it moved, better shoot again

9th shot, twitched when number 8 landed

this is how i always have long shots!

Been there, done that :)

As for having one in the chamber I personaly don't. But I do put one in when I come over a ridge, sadle, or when you just have that feeling that one is going to jump out of that manzinita in front of you. As for shootin past 400 yards, I have done it several times. I shot a 90 incher at 486 yards. He was walking up the ridge and about to get away. He didn't know I was there and probably could have let him walk over the ridge and bed down. then sneek up and try to jump him up and get a shot when he is at a dead run through the brush. Sorry, I think it was a smarter shot a 486. I try to get as close as possable were I don't spook them. I too a 90 inch 2 point last year. I spotted him from over a mile away. But I was able to get a 200 yard shot. Sometimes you can get up close and sometimes you can't with the lay of the land. I personally shoot a 30-06 with a mill dot scope and am very comfortable taking a shot up to 500 yards. My brother shoots a 7mm ultra mag and he is comfortable out even further. He took a nice buck last year at 650 yards, and there was no way he was getting any closer. After he shot, it took him a couple of hours to get over to the deer. If you shoot alot a 400 yard shot is an easy shot, if the conditions are right.