Sign in to follow this  
couesbitten

What unit to apply for?

you are right and that is why I usually just hunted chukars in WA. I love the solitude of coues hunting,especially archery. There's nothing like hiking in a ways and glassing all day and just seeing countryside and deer.

Couesbitten

I have hunted 36c and can tell you from personal experience that it definitely has trophy buck`s. I know a guy from San Diego that killed a 128''in 36c a few years back. The key at least for me, though, is to stick with 1 or 2 areas and really learn them the very best that I can, I mean really push back into some of those remote canyons and ridges that really look good. I think there are trophy quality bucks in every unit. I could be wrong, but, we just have to be persistant and find them.I personally like unit 32 because it doesn`t seem to have as many problems with the illegals. All the units that you mentioned will probably be good choices.Good luck in the draw this year Coues Addict

Edited by coues addict

Coues Addict,

I agree with what you're saying, I just wish I lived a little closer so that I could spend some time in that unit (or any unit in AZ for that matter), getting to know the area better. You're post brings up a few questions with me though. What kind of problems with illegals are you refering to? Also, I've been seeing a lot of posts saying that the biggest bucks are down in the flats. I know that often times, big bucks are where you find them, but this seems like conflicting info to me, and I don't know if I should be hunting high or low.

Thanks, Scott/Couesbitten

my personal favorite spot is 36b, have some places in there that are what i call "ace in the hole" spots. also, have you check out 34a? i believe it might have faced too much hunting pressure in the past but still has some trophy deer, such as the world record pope and young typical

casey

Couesbitten

I once drew a tag for 36c and found myself , my son, and a friend within rifle range of what looked like a good size drug smuggling operation right before dark. It was a little tense for a couple of minutes. I really tried not to let it bother me, but it kinda hung around in the back of my mind for a few days. Not the kind of stuff I want to think about when I`m hunting, if you know what I mean. As far as hunting high or low. I have found that most of the areas that I go, I cannot get to high!!! Usually the higher you get the less hunter pressure there is. The canyons I was refering to are the high montain, huge, butt kicking, take all day to glass canyons. Thats my biggest problem, is figuring out how to penetrate some of these areas without killing myself. I used to backpack quite a bit and it`s hard to carry enough water in the early season, especially if you don`t know the area real well. Thats why I was saying to stick with 1 or 2 units and try to learn them well.The more you hunt a paticular area ,the more water holes and springs you`ll find, and the more deer you will see. Big Coues bucks like remote areas, basically where you don`t find people, get as far back from roads and other hunters as physically possible. Find good feeding areas,South and East Slopes, water sources,usually on North and Northwest slopes and canyon Bottoms and you will find good bucks.Try taking your bedroll in and spending the night , Take a water pumping device so you can refill your water bottles as you find water souces. These are just a few ideas and I hope they help. Good Luck Coues Addict :D

Coues Addict,

I know just the place you're talking about. When I shot my buck in Dec. 2000, I was on the top of a ridge overlooking this huge canyon that was just covered with with smaller finger ridges and draws, and I thought that if a big buck should be anywhere, it was somewhere in that canyon. It was just unfortunate that I didn't find it until I had already been there 4 or 5 days. I would have liked to spend alot more time in there. I will definately be putting in for 36C again this year. Hope I draw, and good luck to everyone else. And thanks to all for the words of advice.

Scott/Couesbitten