Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Public Safety Announcement

Because of a knee injury I've been sitting at home for the past six months with limited activity. Today a co-worker and friend wanted to go shooting. I wasn't interested in the AR or other rifles and we shot skeet this morning at Ben Avery so no shotguns. I decided to take my Kentucky Rifle Repop for a little unconventional fun. I shot it about ten times, then on a shot showing my buddy how to load and shoot it, I had a cap that just exploded on the shot. Not only split and detonated, this thing GRENADED! I hold my rifle with my support hand almost all the way forward, a good two foot from the lock, and elbows held down close to the body.

As soon as I shot, I felt sharp pains in my middle finger on my support hand, my cheek, and my left arm. I noticed I had a scratch on my face, my middle finger was bleeding, and I had a small hole in my CWT shirt. I didn't worry about it until I got home, went to take a shower and found this....

IMG_20120405_213728.jpg

That's about 1/16" X 1/8" piece of the cap that is embedded under my skin on my left arm! It went through the doubled up shirt (had the sleeves rolled up a bit) and still had enough power to get all the way under the skin. A similar unfired cap for comparison.

The scratch on my face also turned out to be a small piece of the cap in my skin just below where my sunglasses sat.

Anyone who's been around guns for a long time take short cuts. We all do it, and know it. I don't wear glasses when I hunt even though my light green eyes get "arc eye" if I don't wear sunglasses during the day but I deal with it. I also don't wear ear protection while hunting, or during the shot. I can tell you from now on I will be wearing all the protection I can while shooting from now on. I had this problem with the musket sized caps that would leave metal flakes in my trigger hand, so I went back to the smaller caps because they didn't seem to detonate into small fragments. Guess I was wrong on that one!

Be safe out there!