Sign in to follow this  
Elkaddict

Coconino map for GPS

Coconino Forest has a map for downloading to your gps to show roads you can be on, camping areas,elk retrieval areas, etc.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224

Not sure I want to do this, but figured I do want to be legal so might as well. I loaded the application to my desktop and tried to load to my garmin 60c, it recognizes the gps unit but can't seem to get it installed. So I went to my desktop and loaded the application there, as soon as I plugged in my gps the screen turned blue and I spent the next 2 hours getting that computer back to normal.

Has anyone else tried this and what were the results.

WARNING- I told you what happened to me, not saying that was the only problem but that was all I was doing. SO............

I finally loaded the map to Garmins Basecamp. It's worse than the one they offer online and have printed for us to use. All I see is a blue background with elk retrieval and no elk retrieval and some roads. I would be lost most of the time trying to use it. Horrible!!

I finally loaded the map to Garmins Basecamp. It's worse than the one they offer online and have printed for us to use. All I see is a blue background with elk retrieval and no elk retrieval and some roads. I would be lost most of the time trying to use it. Horrible!!

I loaded it, and went for an atv ride yesterday, near Apache Maid. loaded it on a garmin 76cx. I wished I had a paper map to go along, the garmin map is good, right at an intersection, but when you zoom out to plan a trip (around apache maid), the roads go away.

I wouldn't call it a replacement for the paper map, but a good supplement. also, better than nothing, since I didn't take a paper map with me.

I loaded the map directly to my garmin, I had to go in and turnoff my "basemap" after I loaded it.

Sycamore

I copied the maps from their pdf and pasted them into word documents. Go to the campfire forum here

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32517&st=0&p=306844&fromsearch=1entry306844

I did the same for Kaibab and Prescott in the same forum but under their own post.

Hope that will help you in some way.