Sign in to follow this  
Guest couesdiehard

tumacacori highlands wilderness

Guest couesdiehard

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on the proposal to create the Tumacacori Highlands Wilderness of most of the National Forest Lands in Unit 36B. Check out www.azwild.org to get some of the info if you were not aware. In many ways I think it would help the white-tail trophy hunting but I worry about the huge amounts of litter that would build up with no easy way to remove it. I also believe that illegal immigration and drug-running would increase in the area as few roads would remain open. Those of you who have hunted the area know what I am talking about.

I brought this same issue up on AZOD ( http://www.azodchat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3182 ) and my position is an access one. The wilderness area would restrict some vehicular access even though many of the roads are cherry stemed. I know this unit well and I believe that there is plenty of remote areas already there that trophies can be found. You will just have to hike in. And yes, this area is getting trashed. The illegal traffic has screwed up one of my favorite hunting areas by creating a large human presence.

Edited by Diamondbackaz

Heres an e-mail I just got from a friend:

Dear Sportsman,

Are you a hunter or an off-road enthusiast or someone who just enjoys the outdoors? A recent proposal to create the Tumacacori Wilderness area could affect your access to land on which you currently hunt and hike.

The Tumacacori Mountains Multiple Use Group represents a group of ranchers, hunters, 4x4, and small mining enthusiasts who oppose the creation of a Tumacacori Wilderness. If this proposal succeeds more than half of the existing roads will be closed; easy access to campsites and ATV use will be eliminated. No wheeled vehicles would be allowed off the designated roads. This will significantly affect anyone who is using current access.

Wilderness as defined in the Wilderness Act of 1964 does not fit the Tumacacori Mountains. It is not 'roadless' and has many ranch improvements and small mining operations. We believe the Tumacacori Wilderness Proposal represents extremist environmentalism. Ranchers will be forced out of operation because of restrictive regulations.

Border security will also be in issue with this proposal. Illegal aliens and drug smugglers already traverse this area by the thousands. Assigning wilderness status to this area will decrease the access to the Border Patrol and other federal agents. Illegal activity will increase and endanger hikers and hunters.

Please go to the website http://www.tumacacorifreedom.org . Please use the website to send an email to your congressional representative (or all), and specify your district.

If you wish to not be included in any further mailings please email us at: info@tumacacorifreedom.org.

Edited by Diamondbackaz

I received this email and voted to keep the forest open. I know shutting off the whole thing from vehicle traffic would create more older class deer but holding the Border control back and decreasing day usage is not what we want in my opinion......Allen Taylor.....