Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

Questions about deer draw/deadline

Have some questions about the draw process for deer, which if I read it properly, is due June 12th. This is only the second time I've drawn in AZ, so I was hoping for some of your feedback:

1. Last year when the draw app deadline was approaching, there was a lot more chatter, and AZGFD would send out numerous reminders. I haven't seen any chatter or reminders, which makes me wonder if I'm reading the deadline correctly.

2. The guy that recently sold me his Jeep wants to hunt with me (that's a good thing: up until now, I haven't found any hunting partners). He needs my social security number to put on the hunt app. It makes me a little nervous giving my SSN to someone I haven't known for a long time. He is a retired DPS officer, seems like a man of integrity, but still, I haven't known him for long. How would you all feel about this? I have a hunter ID number, but in reading the draw instructions, it looks like the SSN is mandatory.

3. If I don't give him the SSN for the app he's submitting, and fill out my own app that mirrors the hunt numbers on his, does that lessen the chances of us getting drawn together?

Thanks for your input.

Hello Airbusdriver! I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer your questions (in red below).

Good luck!

S.

:)

Have some questions about the draw process for deer, which if I read it properly, is due June 12th. This is only the second time I've drawn in AZ, so I was hoping for some of your feedback:

1. Last year when the draw app deadline was approaching, there was a lot more chatter, and AZGFD would send out numerous reminders. I haven't seen any chatter or reminders, which makes me wonder if I'm reading the deadline correctly. Yes, I think you are reading the deadline correctly. June 12th! Can't speak to low/no chatter from G&F....

2. The guy that recently sold me his Jeep wants to hunt with me (that's a good thing: up until now, I haven't found any hunting partners). He needs my social security number to put on the hunt app. It makes me a little nervous giving my SSN to someone I haven't known for a long time. He is a retired DPS officer, seems like a man of integrity, but still, I haven't known him for long. How would you all feel about this? I have a hunter ID number, but in reading the draw instructions, it looks like the SSN is mandatory. That one is up to you, IMO. ;) Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about giving your new friend your SS#.

3. If I don't give him the SSN for the app he's submitting, and fill out my own app that mirrors the hunt numbers on his, does that lessen the chances of us getting drawn together? Yes, I'm thinking that in general it lessen's the chance of you both getting drawn for the same unit. Would also depend on the popularity of the unit though. If it is a unit that is easy to draw, then I wouldn't worry much about it. If it is a tougher draw unit, well then obviously there is a better chance that one vs. the other would get drawn.... Good luck on that!

Thanks for your input.

I believe you can change your info with game fish so they can use a different number other than your social security!

Thanks for the input folks. I went ahead and gave the guy my SSN, and looking forward to my first AZ hunt.

FWIW, I just called AZGFD office in Mesa. I asked them to clarify whether you need to include your SSN on the application if you put the Hunter ID in the other box. The answer was "YES, you absolutely must include your SSN on any application to remain in compliance with federal law". The Hunter ID number is just a tool that's used to aid in checking your bonus points.

I also passed along that AZGFD has been a little less agressive in sending email alerts about the upcoming draw registration deadlines. She said she would pass it along to the main office to see if they could send something out.

Thanks again for your input.