jmwarren65

2A / 2B Fire Damage

Any one familiar with units 2A and 2B and the extent of the fire damage? I haven't had the chance to get up there yet or contact the Forest Service. I'm curious if we will be looking over a moonscape or if there are still a lot of green trees standing. My son has an any elk tag for late Sept /early Oct.

I dont know anything about 2a/2b but I see in your avatar that your hunting antelope and elk (muzzleloader....rut)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are on a role so you better put in for the late Kaibab or the strip and bighorn sheep! Denfinately jealous!

I was refering to the Wallow Fire from last year. Did it get into 2A / 2B very far or did it stop before then?

trophyhnter: I went and bought several lottery tickets as soon I got the draw results. It has been a long dry spell of 5 years with no elk, antelope, or deer tags. I would have been thrilled with just an elk tag for my son. but to add a bull elk tag for me and then my first antelope tag since 1980...awesome! Not to mention I just got married on Memorial weekend. Its been a good year so far! These hunts will not be easy, but I will enjoy every second in the field!

The Wallow Fire did not reach 2A/2B.

Good luck on your elk hunt. That is a tough place to hunt, mostly because it is difficult to glass the juniper thickets the elk inhabit.

On top of that, lots of local people know where elk hang out most of the year, and they all show up on opening day and booger the bulls into the last places any self-respecting elk hunter would think to look for them.

Bill Quimby

I LOVE That Hunt!

And yep, no fire there, its already moonscape! And good luck finding those standing Green trees. A few short cedars and some sage maybe. But like I said, I love that hunt! Do your scouting, they hide well behind those couple trees!

Lance