Sign in to follow this  
kennyazman

question about august archery in the desert

Well I ended up taking your guys' advice and I set up a camera on a cattle trough in an area that has very little water. I have learned my first lesson already after having it out for two weeks. I found this tank last year while archery hunting in there and I know it always has water so I thought it would be good since it was also off any beaten path or rd. This particular area has almost all creosil bushes and small shrubs and cactus, not really much to strap a camera to. So I looked around and found a good sized root stump and put it at the base of a creosil and strapped the camera to it. Well when I went to check on it this morning I was so excited to see if I got anything. As I walked up to it my heart sank when I saw it knocked over sitting in a puddle of dry cow pee and turned toward the tree. I had over 3000 pictures on there. It was set up for 2 days and took a ton of cow pictures before it was knocked over by a cow and the next 12 days were creosil branches blowing in the wind. Now I know not to set it on the ground where there is cattle. As a side note I found an even better game and fish trick tank a few miles from there and there are no signs of cattle there. Hopefully I will have better luck there.

I thought u were gonna say it was stolen! Better knocked over than gone. The other thing u might learn pretty quick is to clear any grass, limbs, bushes that may blow in the wind and set it off. Ive had 1000's of pics of the wind blowing....

9am to 2 pm is the best time.

Lance hit it right on the head. 9am to 2pm has more activity than any other time of the day where I hunt. Pack a small icecooler with some froozen water bottles and use them to cool yourself off with and then drink them when they melt. Keep a bandana in on ice for your neck.

TJ

I appreciate all the advice. TJ I am definately going to take your advice and bring an ice chest in my blind. I plan on sitting in front of this water all day. I just hope I can stay patient enough. August is coming fast! Now I just need to find out that I got drawn for late kaibab and my plans for august go out the window. But that would be ok with me.

Ok so I put up my camera in a new spot that looked promising. I left it out for a week before I went and checked it. I got my first pics of some bucks on camera!! this spot looks very good. I am going to attempt to load the pictures in the trail cam forum. check them out once I put them up.