IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

Velvet Bulls From June 14th 2012 Northern Arizona.My son Weston and I took video and pics of these pretty Velvet Bulls this morning on a little scouting trip. We saw 28 bulls this morning. Nothing real giant but some of these look like their gonna be nice ones. Hope you enjoy the pictures!TLO.5814263689700892459-6362081428172166630?l=timberlandoutfitters.blogspot.com

View the full article

A couple of these bulls you might recognize from our "End Of May" velvet bull post. Lots of horn in two weeks!

It's a dry year but I think the majority of the antler growth will not be affected. Everywhere these particular bulls are living has plenty of water and plenty of lush green food. So I don't beleive there are any antler growth restrictions amongst these bulls. As in most areas where posible, when it gets dry the elk naturally move to where the best feed and water is. Like burns, or golf courses, or drying up lake beds, or mountain medows where the snow has just melted or in towns where food and water can be found in a number of places. Especially the bulls who know they need the nutrients. There is always the exception and some elk will be too dumb to know whats good for them or just not have the opportunity. But for the most part there is always some where the smarter ones can escape to with some kind of good food and water.

I know that bad habitat conditions will have a direct effect on every part of an elks life, including anteler growth. And I've seen the effects. But, because elk are usually smart enough to take advantage of other options like mentiond above, I don't beleive it has the big all around effect on anteler growth throughout our state that many people have come to think it does.

TLO