Sign in to follow this  
coueshunter

Lion problem Sabino canyon

Everybody needs to call and leave a message with the Governor 602-542-4331 supporting the AZGFD's decision to kill a few lions that are a threat to hikers/bikers etc in Sabinon canyon. This is a hot issue and there is a commission meeting going on today that I think Amanda is at where alot of anti-hunters will be in the media trying to stir up Napalitano and get her to issue anti-predator control solutions to this problem. We need to support our AZGFD and not let Humane Society, PETA or other groups win this important battle for preservation of hunting rights, gun rights and an independant game department that listens to us sportsmen/sportswomen...........thanks Allen Taylor................

You are right I had a call a week ago on this hunt. The guy's that run lions for me are going to be down there. I wish I could .I have to finish a job today that is a thorn in my side, and my wife has a wedding to photograph today also. I hope it goes our way. That is why we need to help the azgfd because even if we can't be there we know our side will be fought for.

I don't look at this issue as a pro hunting or anti hunting issue, and the decision to hunt the lions had nothing to do with us sportsman or pro hunting. After both the Forest Service and the Game and Fish got sued over the bear attack on Anna Kanocle (spelling?) a few yers back. The Forest Service and Game and Fish made the decision based on the liability issues and opened up their own bag of worms. The Forest Service will also lose visitor fee dollars if they had to close the canyon for awhile so theres another money issue. I hoped that they didn't make the decision that they did because it has put hunting in a negative spotlight in the media which really doesn't help us as hunters.

Guest Guest_bullwidgeon

I think this all happened to bad handling. The lions should have been dealt with before the closure so the press would not have gotten ahold of this. The Center for Biological diversity is fed completley on emotion and no amount of science will ever get through to these guys. They will try to tell you that lions are endangered and they will not repopulate and killing four of them could be the end to the species in the Catalinas. I watched with horror as these guys made speeches to the game department when the Sheep Society wanted to remove lions from unit 22 a few years ago. These are the same guys who are against Game Water developments on National Monuments and in the Cabeza Prieta. They say they want to help wildlife but they are completley against several programs that do nothing but good for wildlife. The point is there is too many lions in not enough habitat and habitat on that mountain shrinks daily, the fires just made that problem worse. Lions have been eating pets in Saddlebrooke for a long time now and the reason is that Saddlebrooke was built right in the middle of excellent lion habitat. You don't really here too much about it because as soon as you are a quarter mile from the houses on the backside lions are fair game, and several have been killed there recently by regular sport hunters. Lets hope the govt. hunters get the lions before a court injunction stops anything and maybe after awhile the press will let go and this will all die down. My 2 cents.

Bret M.

If the Govenor has the court disallow the thinning of mountain lions where it is perceived to be a problem, then the Govenor should be held liable when someone gets hurt.

Couple of years ago when lions were attacking dogs that were accompanied by their human masters on a hiking trail in Flagstaff, the Game Dept. did the right thing by killing a couple of the lions. There was a group of people that objected and later gathered to give the lions a memorial service (REALLY). Yep, they burned sage to help 'release' the lion's spirits. One woman was quoted as saying that she thought it would be an honor to die in the grip of such a beautiful animal - rather than to see them killed in such an inhumane way.

It's too bad that the few people that base their lives on HOOOEY are allowed to have any political power at all. This is another growing problem in our country that could use some stifeling.

Mike

Well I just heard they are putting off the hunt for these lions for now. I guess that tells you just what kind of governor we have. I think they should only allow those people that supported stopping the hunt to walk the canyon for the next month. If none of them get attacked by lions open the park back up and wait for the general public to get attacked. Then give the governor a gun and let her handle it. My 2 cents

Edited by peckl1

I like your 2 cents.

I was watching the news last night and they interviewed some nut from earh first and have people illegally camped out up in the canyon (makes good lion bait huh). To show you how crazy these people are, the one said he would get between the rifle and take the bullit to save the lion. I knew the day our governor took office what type of govenor she was going to be, no surprise there.//

Edited by Diamondbackaz