CEI

AuctionTags vs Average Hunter

2010+Deer+&+Pronghorn+3.jpgHow do you define the average hunter?

Every time I hear the words average hunter I get confused. I have never been on a guided hunt; it's just not the way I chose to personally hunt. I enjoy the aspects of scouting and hunting, either by myself or with family. I apply for 4 different states, but I am not even upper middle class. Am I the average hunter? I don't know... Is the average hunter a resident that only applies for his or her state? There again, I don't know. Are we defining the average hunter by their skill level, bank account, or character?

IMO Auction Tags can be bad for our way-of-life if the funds are not properly spent. I am not accusing any groups or anyone of not spending these funds properly; it’s merely a discussion point. These tags are sold for the harvest of public wildlife and they solely exist to raise funds for wildlife conservation. If the funds are not being spent properly then it is a shame and people are raping the system.

I have always questioned whether Auction Tags are truly good for conservation. I have never studied the financial aspects of where exactly or how the money is spent, nor do I currently have the time to hold a proper investigation. If they are being spent on access, water hauling, tank rebuilding and other wildlife conservation projects, than I believe they are a GREATthing for ALL hunters.

Greed and Jealousy are two things that will continue to kill our way-of-life. I will continue to hunt for myself and be happy for the people that succeed.

7390207506001098692-7729355489063261888?l=blog.outdoorsmansresourceguide.com

View the full article

2010+Deer+&+Pronghorn+3.jpgHow do you define the average hunter?

Every time I hear the words average hunter I get confused. I have never been on a guided hunt; it's just not the way I chose to personally hunt. I enjoy the aspects of scouting and hunting, either by myself or with family. I apply for 4 different states, but I am not even upper middle class. Am I the average hunter? I don't know... Is the average hunter a resident that only applies for his or her state? There again, I don't know. Are we defining the average hunter by their skill level, bank account, or character?

IMO Auction Tags can be bad for our way-of-life if the funds are not properly spent. I am not accusing any groups or anyone of not spending these funds properly; itâ€s merely a discussion point. These tags are sold for the harvest of public wildlife and they solely exist to raise funds for wildlife conservation. If the funds are not being spent properly then it is a shame and people are raping the system.

I have always questioned whether Auction Tags are truly good for conservation. I have never studied the financial aspects of where exactly or how the money is spent, nor do I currently have the time to hold a proper investigation. If they are being spent on access, water hauling, tank rebuilding and other wildlife conservation projects, than I believe they are a GREATthing for ALL hunters.

Greed and Jealousy are two things that will continue to kill our way-of-life. I will continue to hunt for myself and be happy for the people that succeed.

7390207506001098692-7729355489063261888?l=blog.outdoorsmansresourceguide.com

View the full article

Good points thank you for posting. I am an average hunter too I suppose. If I had the money though I would go for an auction tag in a heart beat....365 day to hunt a trophy coues is better than winning the lottery for me.

If I am not mistaken our site administrator pointed out that the Gov. tags for Coues (for example) go directly to benefiting Coues deer in the state. I could be wrong and would love futher clarification on that as well. I suppose I need to get more involved.

"If they are being spent on access, water hauling, tank rebuilding and other wildlife conservation projects, than I believe they are a GREATthing for ALL hunters."

This IS where the money goes, so they ARE a great thing for all hunters, and the wildlife!

It's jealousy by certain people towards the few that can afford a special tag that brings a bad light on these important fund raising tools. The jealous people assume it's all about greed and try hard to shine a negative light anyway they can. They never acknowledge or recognize all the good that comes from the money raised or the facts of who and what benefits from it! It is false assumptions and accusations by this group of people, whom typically have very little knowledge or experience in the subject, that creates the negative vibe towards special tags!

I am jealous of those that can afford a special tag, but I also am very thankful that they would spend their money on something that benefits what I care deeply about, and that's our wildlife!!!

Here's some insight to where some of the money goes....

http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=58

http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=39&Itemid=56

Here is a list of just the 2011 proposed projects for Big Game Tag Funds (auction tags)

http://www.azgfd.gov...Proposals.shtml

Here is a list of the projects funded in 2011 from the Big Game Tag Funds (auction tags)

http://www.azgfd.gov...sionsbyLHPC.pdf

Thanks for the replies! We blogged about this after reading a newsletter yesterday. We just wanted to point out the obvious when it comes to the good and the bad.

I still don't know what an "Average Hunter" is...

Good luck on finding a definition for an "Average Hunter", everyone has their own definition in mind and there's no right or wrong one.

I don't think it's skill level, bank account or character that can define whether someone is or isn't an "Average Hunter". I think it possibly can be determined by how much time they spend in the feild every year hunting, regardless of whether it's critters or birds. But, some folks can't afford to be in the field as much as they want, so even time spent in the field isn't a good determining factor.

Just my $.02 ;)

Craig, I am curious which newsletter you read or what it said?

I understand what people are trying to get at when they use the term, "Average" but I just don't know who it is...I guess if you polled every hunter in the US and asked them a bunch of questions you could perhaps find an average, but it's a matter of what questions you ask. Obviously, the folks purchasing the Auction Tags are well above average when it comes to financial means and like you said we can all get a little jealous, but if the money is going back to wildlife conservation it is worth it.