Sign in to follow this  
hntnIwlgo

Racked Doe

Last week I was watching a hunting show on t.v. for a whitetail deer hunt. They showed a "racked doe". They said they had been watching this doe for 3 years now and that this was the first year she had a fawn. I'm just curious. Have any of you ever came across a racked/antlered doe before?

I've seen quite a few antlered does... A couple in kaibab, one in 6a that we watched for a while then disappeared, and one in 17a.

The one in 6a had 2 fawns with her for the first few months. Pretty cool.

Whitetail does can grow antlers. It is very rare, probably much less than 1 % of all does, and it is caused by a hormonal imbalance. Usually a female with antlers won't have enough elevated hormones to cause the velvet to shed and so she keeps growing velvet antlers. But they can have hard antler also.

I have never seen a Coues deer doe with antlers, but there is no reason it couldn't happen. The fact that some female animals get male characteristics is part of the reason why game regulations are listed as "antlered deer" and not "bucks" or as "bearded turkey" not "male turkey or toms". That way a hunter can not get a citation for shooting an antlered doe or a bearded hen. I once saw a guy bring in a bearded hen turkey that had eggs developing inside her. So even though these animals may have some unusual hormones, they can sometimes reproduce and function as normal females. I also saw a photo on the 'net of what appears to be an hard antlered doe with twins. Very interesting photo! Search the net you might find the link.

Amanda

You're telling me you "wiener check" every deer you shoot at? Come on :rolleyes:

Hahahaha i knew those archery people were up to some weird stuff :lol:

You're telling me you "wiener check" every deer you shoot at? Come on :rolleyes:

haha...lol. of course not but I definitely have a better chance of noticing something at 40 yards than 500 yards.

haha...lol. of course not but I definitely have a better chance of noticing something at 40 yards than 500 yards.

That all depends on genetics ;)