Sign in to follow this  
jdub

Unit 16

16 jr. rifle......Any help?

My 10 year old son got drawn for his first hunt ever. I only put him in for that unit and my credit card got dinged. Long story short, I thought we were going to be able to hunt on a private ranch but that option may not actually work out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No. Havent spent much time there. I;ve fished Alamo lake quite a bit but it's been awhile. If I had to do it all over again I might choose something closer but I thought I had an opportunity to hunt private land that may not work out, Anything would be appreciated.

Its a tricky unit, haven't seen many monsters but there are good bucks around. Blake ranch road to north eastern slope of the hualapais holds deer but alot of traffic, surprisingly have seen good bucks closer to the housing communities off of the i 40. Some less traffic lower land areas to start are the drainages that flow to the big sandy, glass glass glass ex. Windmill ranch road from the 93. For higher elevation wild cow springs holds deer but harder hunting as it is mainly ponderosa thickets. Best advice would be pick some good roads that travel east to west up the easterly slope of the hualapis and hike/glass the long canyons. If you follow windmill ranch on google earth, you will also find some good water off the beaten path. The deer are there, just rugged country. Hope this general info helps