Sign in to follow this  
Hornhunter247

Judging a coues

So what's the best way to judge a "good" buck? I've hunted muley's all my life and am pretty confident in knowing a good buck when I see one. But man these little deer are a lot different!

And what's considered a great buck? Muley's I call them great at about 180+ :)

Hey man, most 3x3 coues with 2-4 inch eye guards and their racks can be seen over the shade of their ears will push anywhere from 80"(small frame) to 95ish sometimes a hundred if the extra inches are there. If you see a 4x4 with eye guards and nearly every point is 4+ inches with a good main beam he will clear 100" fairly easily. Hey I forgot to ask you yesterday Horn Hunter before the oil field discussion took place what hunt did you put in for in Az?

So what's the best way to judge a good buck? Well, I first look to see if the ribs are showing. If they ain't then I look to see how much them hams are filled out. Not much meat on these little things so very carefully see how tight the skin looks. The more meat the more you won't see a winkle in the hide. BANG! Almost forgot they have antlers. :)

TJ

• Like 1

So what's the best way to judge a good buck? Well, I first look to see if the ribs are showing. If they ain't then I look to see how much them hams are filled out. Not much meat on these little things so very carefully see how tight the skin looks. The more meat the more you won't see a winkle in the hide. BANG! Almost forgot they have antlers. :)

TJ

Thats a good way to judge a quality deer also Tj for throwing a tag on. I shot mine in the neck last november at 504 with an ultramag, and we definelty got every piece of meat off that deer. Freezer was full along with a spring county fair beef.

TJ

Thats a good way to judge a quality deer also Tj for throwing a tag on. I shot mine in the neck last november at 504 with an ultramag, and we definelty got every piece of meat off that deer. Freezer was full along with a spring county fair beef.

I also helped a buddy of mine mix javelina sauage this march with your write up Tj good stuff man really enjoyed it.

TJ

I also helped a buddy of mine mix javelina sauage this march with your write up Tj good stuff man really enjoyed it.

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I can't get enough of javelina sausage. My neighbors beat me up over it.

504 yds is one heck of a good shot. :)

TJ

Thanks Tyler! I put in for the 17a/17b dec muley first choice and 6b/8 dec coues second, no 3rd or later choice and got a hit! I'm really hoping for my first coues deer and a new addiction! Lol

Tj that's always my back up plan! Haha but don't want to waste a great opportunity here!

Thanks Tyler! I put in for the 17a/17b dec muley first choice and 6b/8 dec coues second, no 3rd or later choice and got a hit! I'm really hoping for my first coues deer and a new addiction! Lol

Tj that's always my back up plan! Haha but don't want to waste a great opportunity here!

Good luck on nailing a big'en! :)

TJ