Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Sighting my Bow for G5 Montecs of Mechanicals?

I have been in your boat with coming off crutches just before archery season thus i will pose the question i did to myself. what are you goung to do after you shoot a deer and can you climb a mountain to track it or worse yet pack it out. Have a plan in place if you cant do either.

Good luck.

cmc

Great question. I've had to cancel most of my other hunts for these reasons. Fortunately my wife got me this hunt with a good outfitter as a graduation present so I will have loads of help.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got a lot of great feedback from you all and other so picked up some 125 gn. Swhackers on their buy one get on free special. They arrived in 5 days so I have been practicing with them for a few days now. They are shooting great, just like my field points. I think my plan is going to be to stick 3 of these at 2 Montecs in my quiver and see what the situation calls for in the field.

Also, the leg is doing a lot better. I've been off the crutches for a week. I have a pretty substantial limp but feel confident I could get up a ladder of hike a bit provided the terrain isn't to nasty.

Here are a couple of injury pictures for those of you with a stomach for it:

post-6408-0-11217600-1344800608_thumb.jpg

post-6408-0-34179900-1344800651_thumb.jpg

Man you really got tore up? How did you do that? I haven't had anything that exciting happen to me, only got shot with a hot primer from a shotgun. Hope you heal up quick man.

Exploration

IMG_0008.jpg

Excavation

IMG_0007.jpg

The Nurse was a looker too, didnt get a pic of her ;)

Man you really got tore up? How did you do that? I haven't had anything that exciting happen to me, only got shot with a hot primer from a shotgun. Hope you heal up quick man.

Exploration

IMG_0008.jpg

Excavation

IMG_0007.jpg

The Nurse was a looker too, didnt get a pic of her ;)

Mine was an ATV accident. Getting shot with a hot primer is a new one to me. How does that happen?

Shotgun gets hot from shooting and when you eject a round they can pop out very rarely but it has happen.

Those dam quads man I've seen them put people in crutches, hospitals, canals, ditches, you name it a quad has put somebody there.

Shotgun gets hot from shooting and when you eject a round they can pop out very rarely but it has happen.

Those dam quads man I've seen them put people in crutches, hospitals, canals, ditches, you name it a quad has put somebody there.

I've never heard of that! I was gonna guess somebody was playing a joke and threw a live shotgun round in a campfire, that's the only way i figured that could happen. I'm not accusing you or your friends of being that stupid, but I know myself and my friends were that stupid many years ago! :ph34r:

I personally do not like the G5 Montecs at all, and only because I've seen a lot of critters shot and lost with them. I'm sure the issue was the lack of sharpness and was before they came out with the "Improved Sharpness" versions. I'm sure they realized early on that the heads weren't sharp enough. I think having confidence in both the Shwackers and the Montecs and having both with you is a smart idea. Use the Montecs if you are shooting thru a screen, use the Shwackers everwhere else. Best of luck!

I shot Montecs for 5 years, I have lost two bucks with while shooting them, but I won't put the blame on the broadhead, shot placement is the most critical element I can think of. . They always tuned up easily and flew straight. I just never liked the fact I had to sharpen them out of the package, but they are durable. Gonna try the Swackers this year. So far I am pleased with the flight of them.

I have some g5 100 "practice" heads.(dont know if made anymore)..some dimensions ...just not sharp... i sight in w/ those and confirm... preaty close....

I've never heard of that! I was gonna guess somebody was playing a joke and threw a live shotgun round in a campfire, that's the only way i figured that could happen. I'm not accusing you or your friends of being that stupid, but I know myself and my friends were that stupid many years ago! :ph34r:

Yeah we were shooting last July at Clay Pidgeons went through quite a few cases between 3 shotguns and somehow one of those shells shot a primer out must of been pretty hot/fast to break the skin. Haha camp fires are for strictly for discussions about guns/hunting/ old girl friends/ fishing or therefore lack of fish we seem to catch a whole lot of nothing.

You ought to try epek broadheads man, my buddy has killed the last three years with them, i started shooting them this year and have not had to sight it in, it flys just like a feild tip. Only problem is if you hit a rock itll shatter but i guess thats a given. But they are awesome in everyway.

heres the sight

http://www.epekhunting.com/