Sign in to follow this  
Jay Scott

Long Range Glassing with Kowa Highlanders Binoculars

Darr and I have been using big optics for years. We first started using Doctor Optik 40X binoculars for long range glassing. When the Outdoorsmans in Phoenix, announced the arrival of the 32X Kowa Highlanders, we bought a pair and have been trading time between the two on our hunts. Over the years of using both the Kowa and the Doctor binoculars, we have come to the conclusion that the Kowas are a step above the Doctors. The edge to edge clarity is the factor that pushed us over the top. The Kowas definitely make us better at finding game. We have found many trophy animals over the last couple seasons with the Kowas. With some great trophy hunts on the horizon in 2012 for Colburn and Scott Outfitters, Darr and I felt adding an additional pair to our arsenal would be advantageous. Now we will both have "Kowa Vision". I have to admit that my main concern when I first saw the Kowa Highlanders was the angled eye piece. Once I used them consistently for about a week I got used to the angle and now it seems second nature. The Outdoorsmans also sells a small lightweight stool that is essential when using the Kowas due to the angled eyepiece. The stool is very comfortable and makes glassing for extended periods of time enjoyable. There are three eyepieces for the Kowa binoculars, 21X, 32X (which comes standard) and 50X. I think each eyepiece could have its benefits in certain applications but we think the 32X is perfect for everyday glassing no matter what kind of trophy you are after. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 21X and 50X eyepeices to test out. We appreciate the guys at the Outdoorsmans for constantly raising the bar and continuing to carry the most cutting edge hunting gear on the market!

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+1.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+3.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+4.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+5.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+8.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+10.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+13.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Kowa+Highlander+32X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+14.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Doctor+Optik+40X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+1.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Doctor+Optik+40X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+2.JPG

Long+Range+Glassing+Doctor+Optik+40X+Binoculars+from+OUTDOORSMANS+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors+3.JPG

Long+range+glassing+helps+Colburn+and+Scott+Outfitters+find+more+game+1.jpg

Long+range+glassing+helps+Colburn+and+Scott+Outfitters+find+more+game+2.jpg

Long+range+glassing+helps+Colburn+and+Scott+Outfitters+find+more+game+5.jpg

Long+range+glassing+helps+Colburn+and+Scott+Outfitters+find+more+game+6.jpg

Long+range+glassing+helps+Colburn+and+Scott+Outfitters+find+more+game+7.jpg

Long+range+glassing+helps+Colburn+and+Scott+Outfitters+find+more+game+9.jpg

jso3.jpg

838693349566457000-6787628645924063754?l=jayscottoutdoors.blogspot.com

View the full article

I know I am sure having fun with my Kowa's... They are Wicked!! The guys at the Outdoorsman (Cody & Cody) are certainly the guys you wanna see if you are interested in changing your game in ways you never thought possible!

On a separate note: AZGF are going to have to make a rule change for guys like Jay, Darr, myself and others who own these.... Like "...those possessing these binos must only use and opperate them within 100yds of a paved roadway as to reduce success rates in the other portions of the unit." .... Bah HaHaHa :lol: :P :P

Good opics kill more game than any other tactic we use!!!!! ;)

• Like 3

This hunting stuff is expensive. looked online... $3500 to $4000. The more tools and the better the tools you have, the better the opportunity!

I agree with you trophy........when I started looking at how many days I use the binoculars and the success I was having with them it was much easier to justify in my mind. If you break the amount of days they get used over a couple of years then it becomes easier and easier. If you like to glass you should give these a look through for sure. Its a whole other world.

Jay-Thank you for a good write with solid info. I agree 100% the best weapon we have in our aresenal is our optic's. Going to be a while b4 I get my hands on some of those-but I can see where they are a game changer.

I've been looking at buying a pair of these for a while. How is the clarity compared to Swarovski 15's?

Thanks,

Adam

If I had the money, and trailer for the quad to haul them..... I would buy them. And I would imagine you need a tripod that channel 13 news crew carries around to mount them to..... Seriously though, they are some serious glass.

Sign in to follow this