Sign in to follow this  
AZ_XL7

My 2012 hunt.

Lemme start by saying I didn't fill my tag.

I was really hopeful going into this hunt. Being it my first archery hunt I knew I had to get my shooting up to par. So began the days and months of shooting. Archery head quarters is close to work so I spent countless nights there shooting and shooting. George and all the guys down there helped my tweek a few things and made some drastic changes to my bow that only made my shooting better.

Thursday the 13th was here and I headed up the hill. We set up camp and go looking for bulls. Went to an area we had hunted before, bam 6 different bulls. Ok game on. From day 1 we were into bulls. First stalk, busted by cows. Ok no biggie, next stalk get to 100, busted again. This is getting fun. Opening evening found me stalking a really nice bull, he was at 65 yards and I knew that was pushing my limit so I tried to get to 55. Busted, but he doesn't go far. I get a second chance, he is going to walk infront of me at 50. Just then I hear my friend, dude there is a hunter right there. Cow makes the hunter away they go. Here is where I fully believe you need luck.

Fast foward to day 8. I had been busted, beat down, and was getting real mentally tired. I passed on a nice 5x5 on day 2 and was in bulls all day In between. We had been watching a bull since day 3. Knowing this meadow real well we knew it was a matter of time before they hung out that extra 20 minutes. Well Saturday was that day. After making a stalk and getting busted we started to the meadow. We could hear him going nuts. I knew it was him because the day before i got to 100 and got busted. As we get into the edge of the meadow I can tell they are not doing there usual, so here we got. 400, 300, 200, we finally get to 100 and breath. It's me and him, cows are above him we have a great wind. We go to 90, then 80, now I'm starting to get the jitters. 70 here we go, now things get interesting. I keep seeing one cow looking ahead of them. She will eat look back, eat look in our direction etc. I'm going through everything, wind good, back drop good, what's going on. After what seems like forever she relaxes and I'm going to get to 50. I take 4 steps and holy crap, a dang coyote just about runs over my foot. ( ugh who has been there right). So rather then him bolt to the meadow he goes right at the heard. Buddy ranges the bull which is moving. 73, I put my 60 just at the top of his back, lead him realse and he jumps the string. Arrow sails over his back buy 4 inches and away they go. Truth be told, I was mentally done after that. My luck, a dang yote ruins the hole thing.

Last morning. Blow a stalk again, get to the meadow. Trail some bulls up the hill. And we keep getting closer and closer. Had a black bear walk by us at 30 yards, we move on. Ok inside a 100. We can hear him bugling and he is fired up. This is where my lesson was learned. My cousin has always told me, never hunt faster then you can see. Well I didn't do that this one time. I picked my spot I needed to get to and we went. We get to the spot I lift my binos and guess what there he is 30'yards away. Crap, he sees me I see him go full draw and the stand of is on. Problem is, when he stands up there is a tree covering his vitals. Yep, there is that luck again. Now we all know what goes through you're head in that little bit of time. I think about pushing one threw his fore head. After a minute in starting to get the shakes. At this point I'm figuring which way he is going to leave. He can't possible go up because there is to much crap that way. To my left his right there is a tree. It's back about 5 yards so I figure he is going to leave straight. Well I can see him getting nervous. He plants his feet, I move my pin over 3 inches to the tree cause of course he is going to leave that way. He leaves, I release, he wheels around the way I didn't figure him going and my arrow goes right by him and center punches that lovely unit 1 pin tree.

That's how my hunt ended. I will have that final 2 minutes on my mind until the next tag I draw. Believe me when I say being my first archery hunt I learned so much. I know I will make the same mistakes again. But one thing I won't ever do is hunt faster then I can see. Sorry for the long winded post. Just finally had a chance to sit down and recap.

Thanks to all my family and friends for the help. My wife, well they put up with a lot when we find out we draw that tag of a lifetime. She put up with alot of long night at the gym and at the range. Time to focus on the 22 mule deer hunt.

I feel your pain but the experience will only help us be more prepared next time. We too had coyotes, bears (1 with 3 cubs), u name it and even a dang cockatoo. its crazy but still cool seeing all of it.

good luck on the deer hunt!

Sounds like a frustrating but amazing hunt! Heck, you were in elk most every day, that's pretty dang cool

Sounds like a great hunt to me! Lost of action! Lots of bulls! Lots of experience to take with you on your next hunt or pass on to others! For me, passing on a shot on any animal that I know I can make and having perfect conditions is like filling a tag! You will get your bull next time for sure! Thanks for sharing!