Sign in to follow this  
papa

2012 late

Opening morning arrives with my wife and I feeling very optimistic that we were going to find ourselfs a Bear knowing that my son had taken a Bear on the early hunt in this same area. Arriving at the ridgetop we wanted to hunt a good 45 minutes before light enough to start glassing we wait and watch the headlights below us, but were lucky only one came up our ridge but they headed south of us. At day light I spotted a nice Bear about 1 mile away across the canyon. Away I go leaving my wife as a spotter, but that Bear never once stopped to give me a chance to catch up.

Day 2: My son arrives at my camp before daylight with his friend to let us know where they would be hunting. I wished his friend good luck and away they went. A cup of coffee and it was time to go. Leaving camp we had not gone a mile when we find my son and his friend parked on the side of the road, he told us a big black Bear had ran across the road and went down into a deep canyon and they where going in to wait until daylight to see if they could call it in. Once again we wished them good luck again and off we went.

Daylight on the same ridge again we find another Bear but this one is high up in a patch of pinon/oak. So away we go closing the distance to about 600 yards.The wife decides she will set up and spot for me. I close the distance to 300 yards and set the rifle up on its bipod. After glassing for about 30 minutes with neither my wife or I seeing the Bear again I call the wife again and tell her I was going to try calling, because once the sun crested the ridge I would not be able to see anything. I took one last look in my binoculars before I was going to start to call, and there sets my Bear broad side 350 yards I layed down and speezed off the shot during the recoil I loose the Bear but I heard what sounded like a good hit. My wife calls me and said that she sees the Bear and he has walked out really slow and stopped and then walked away. I wait 30 minutes and walk up to where he was when I shot. I find blood but not alot with the drops being several feet apart. I slowly worked my way following the blood trail for 40 yards when I have to duck under a low hanging pine limb as I stand up I see my Bear 20 feet to my right facing away from me but looking at me over his right shoulder. Another shot and it is over. I shot the Bear at 7:30am and did not get him to the truck until 3:00pm. By the way my sons friend did not get the Bear that ran across the road, but they were able to find and take a nice Bear the same morning I took mine. Sorry for no field pictures but forgot my camera at camp.