Guest Ernesto C

Radios

Guest Ernesto C

Does any of you my fellow members use radios to keep in touch with your hunting partner or with somebody at camp? And if you do so,what brand do you use and like how much will they cost?How long the batteries will last?

Any info will be apreciated. God bless you all.

Thank you.

Ernesto C.

I use the motorola 5 mile radios. I also have a galaxy CB radio in my truck it will get up on skip waves and Go clear to other states. You need to be aware that if you use radios with a hunting partner while taking game you can not enter that game in the record books. Atleast that is how I understand it.

I also use the 5 mile Motorolas with the press to talk earpiece. It comes in handy if someone is spotting for you while you are stalking. from what I understand you arent eligible for the book but I'll pay that price for a big ole buck

I have used FRS 2 milers in the past couple of years, but often use them as check ins only. Designated 1-2 hour check in times and see what is happening. Cobra and midland are what I have used. Small and lightweight taking 6 AAA batts. They last a 2-3 day weekend with mostly standby.

Out of AZ, some states restrict them altogether! With the advent of good cell phones, it is now almost possible to talk to other hunters carrying cell phones in the wilderness.

Mainly carry mine as safety unit in case of injury or to call for help after a kill.

Interesting about the record disqualification. I did not know that!

Guest Ernesto C

Thanks for the iformation guys,very interesting I did not know you can't enter your deer in B&C books,I assume that will be if you are using the radio to assist your partner to pint point the location of the deer correct?

Ernesto C.

Ernesto

You are right . you can not use them for guideing each other to deer and enter them in the books. I am sure they have a few in the books where radios are used. After all who is going to say you did. It is your word against the deer. By that point You have taken care of the deer haveing a say right.

we usually use a motorolla when we hunt, we need to get the ear pieces because they are loud when buttons accidently get pushed or when the other guy calls at the wrong time. last year(03) when my hunting partner and myself knocked down our bucks, we called my dad back at camp and told him to get up the ridge and help us pack out the guns and backpacks, when we hunt and someone stays at camp, we use the gun shots as a sign to turn them on. its a good thing that we had them because we would have had a hard time carryin out the deer and our packs, docters, tripods, and rifles.

casey

I will use my Kenwood frs radios to keep in touch with my hunting partner while we are separated.

they are always within reach and I do have the ear-bud and voice activated microphone in use.

The "Boone and Crockett Club" puts it this way:

III.. Use of electronic communication devices, artificial lighting, or electronic light intensifying devices, are prohibited.

Does this mean My head lamp could get me thrown out of contention??

LC.

Guest Ernesto C

BACKCOUNTRY if you harvest your deer at night yes :D but you must use your head lamp to get your deer back to camp. :rolleyes:

Ernesto C.

I have used a couple differrent brands, cobra, motorola. It is really a matter of how much you want to spend, the last pair I got were free, got them with a set of BFG's only cost me $650.00. A set of batteries will last me all season, we do not use them for guiding each other in on animals, only emergencies and check-ins.

BKF

They mean you can't spot light. Or use the red and blue lights on a scope. It also means if you have a light that inhances your fiber optic sites on a bow It will keep you from the books