Sign in to follow this  
SO I HUNT

Which Powder For 338 WN Mag

Thinking of using IMR4350 or 4831; Fed. mag primers(#215 I think is the number on the primers)----- Bullet 210gr Barnes TTSX boat tail; rifle Rem. 700 (24"barrel). Also anyone use these bullets? Thanks....

• Like 1

I shot imr 4350 with great results in 7mm. But I did learn that in 20degree weather my bullet drops a lot more then 60:70 degrees. The powder doesn't burn as hot when bullets cold. I think at 850yrds it dropped an additional 10to12 inches in cold. I saw and episode on LRP they demonstrated shooting in 115degrees and bullets in cool chest at 35degrees same day. The cold bullets were 70to80fps slower witch at close range prob wouldn't madder to much. But at farther distance is a miss!!

H1000 is very temperature stable and works great with heavy bullets and long barrels.

RL25 and RL33 might be good too.

I have been using 72.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter with the 210 TTSX in my .338 Win Mags. This is a stout load, so start lower and work up. Most the the Ramshot powders are relatively temperature stable, Hunter and Magnum perhaps less so than others, but still not bad.

Thanks for the replies. Had another say that H4831 is a another great one, but the only problem now is FINDING THE DARN POWDER ANY POWDER FOR THAT MUCH:(