Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

what's better, tree stands or stalking

have you guys had better luck sitting in a tree or walking miles a day? I have never really tried sitting in a tree stand. I hav just always thought that coues were the kind of deer that you need to go to. They're sneaky animals and unpredictable.i have only known coues to follow trails on steep hillside or in thick areas. What do u think?

thanks, creed

I think the answer to your question really depends on the person. Different strokes for different floks! I prefer to glass and spot and stalk on the rifle hunts and sit water or salt during the archery hunts. I will also say that in my opinion all wild animals are unpredictable to a point but if you do your scouting then you can predict their behavior to some degree. The archery hunt takes place during some very hot weather and even big coues deer need to drink. If you get a good salt hole going during the rut the bucks will follow the does right in. If you can find a good scrape/rub line a buck is sure to pass by sooner or later. If you spend enough time watching coues deer you will learn their habits and that at certain times there behavior can be predicted.

Good Luck!

Guest Ernesto C

I personally had better luck with the spot and stalk method than using a treestand,I really like both of them but I use the spot and stalk more than the treestand on both hunts rifle or bow.

There is a place and time for the treestand. I personally believe that in order to place a treestand you must know the area like the palm of your hand and that you already did a lots of scouting and have exact knoweldge of the location of water,food,bedding areas and travel corridors and scrapes (depending on the time of the season).

If I'm hunting an area that I dont know I use the spot,stalk and glass method because that way I can learn a lot form that specific area. I guess that's why I have better fortune using the spot and stalk method because is the one I use more.

Thank You.

Ernesto Cibrian.

Tree stand hunnting is like fishing to me, and I don't like to fish unless I am fishing a stream and hiking up and down it. But like it was said above if you like it you like it if you don't you don't.

Treestand hunting is really not the way to go with all those great big mountains to glass. Using a treestand is just to boring, and you won't see as many deer unless you're on water. But the point really is that big bucks are usually scarce on those trails you have to go get them. When glassing you can see them and go get em' instead a long boring day sitting down. That is unless you want to do it I guess it depends on the person!

CouesSlayer

Edited by CouesSlayer

Guest bigldh

coues deer are very sly creatures. weve been bowhunting coues bucks with great luck out of treestands . mind you there is nothing wrong with spot and stocking but most bucks that are shot this way are far and few most az hunters are not plugged into these little deer and that suits us fine.we are connecting with 100 plus coues bucks with great ease . ive seen hunters in the field that are in some of the best little pockets of deer leave because they just dont get it on how to hunt these little sly deer .treestands ya i might own a few of them good hunting ? you bet weve got the best deer in the world right at our doorstep!!! somebody said boring thats funny ive never thought hunting trophy bucks tobe boring i hope they keep hunting that way !! signed way up a tree