Sign in to follow this  
McDaniel

Ideal spotting scope for couse deer hunting?

I would apreciate your comments, suggestions, advices,etc...I am planning to buy a spotting scope, the questions are:

22-60x65mm?

15-45x65mm?

Should I go with 80mm? Or even 90mm?

Of course weight is an aspect to consider...

Brands competing, zeiss, Swaro, Zen-Ray and Leupold, my budget is limited

Gracias amigos/Thank You Friends.

From personal experience I would use binoculars instead of a spotting scope if you plan on glassing for more than a few minutes at a time. I would get a headache from the eye strain just using one eye.

A pair of 15 power quality binoculars will give you very good definition out to 1500 yards and you can glass for hours with no problems. A Spotting scope is great for "spotting", range use or looking through for 15 seconds at a time but not a good choice for extended glassing, at least for me.

I have 15x48' scope and wish I had more power. That said I agree a quality pair of binos 15x on a tripod are the best way to go especially when your going to glass for awhile from one spot. I use 10x binos to find something then the scope to verify all weight to carry when afield.

check out the vortex razor spotting scopes. they now have 3 objective sizes to choose from: 45mm, 65mm and 80mm so u can go as light or heavy as u want. the price and quality of these spotters cannot be beat IMO.

I apreciate your comments, all of them provide good insight..Thank you guys!

I will take a look to Vortex Razor...

I do glassing with Zeiss Bino's 12x45 using an outdoorsman tripod (by the way..Very good piece of tool!!); Just recently durying my last hunting trip to Sonora I saw several bucks longways (1 to 1.5 miles... maybe a bitt farther) and I could not tell how big their racks were, I was able to determine it was a buck only....could not count# of points.

I think that a propper spotting scope can do the work to: Avoid unneeded walking and focus the energy in searching for another buck or definetly go for the game hunt.

I wonder if there is a big difference between the 65mm and 80mm (because of the light coming through it) that worths the weight carrying...

I just want to maximize the spotting scope efficiency use Vs investment ..